Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Markiyan
    replied
    Nextera/Lucigen Matepair data is strongly recommended for gap closing!

    Dear Mike,

    So well done for sequencing them with 2x300 run mode, but remember that maximum insert sizes that would cluster are still 1kb - 1.2kb, so in order to be able to jump over any repeats over 1kb (rRNA, etc) - the matepair library is a must (if you can get enough DNA (~2ug)).
    I would do at least 1 nextera 3kb+ matepair library, making sure i give it enough DNA, run 2x300 or 2x250 mode,
    than properly process the data and reassemble. If the range is still to short - you can go up to 15-20 kb if you use blue pipping or gel size selection.

    After that, repeat the gap closing attempts.
    You can also try pilon for that.

    PS: if you have access - you can also give a Pacbio or 10K or Molleculo a try.
    --
    Best Regards,
    Markiyan.

    Originally posted by MikeT View Post
    Hi all,
    Both samples were sequenced on an Illumina MiSeq platform with 2x300 bp paired-end reads. I tried by aligning the contigs on their most closely-related genome with CONTIGuator and then trying to close the gaps with GapCloser, but I'm not sure it's the best strategy.
    What would you suggest me, instead?
    Best regards
    -MikeT

    Leave a comment:


  • fibar
    replied
    Hi Mike,
    I'm interested in your post. As far as I know, what you say sounds good.
    I haven't tried it yet, but maybe with anvi'o you can check where you are standing:

    Leave a comment:


  • Extracting and scaffolding microbial genomes from complex communities

    Hi all,
    For a recent project, we managed to sequence a microbial biofilm growing on a surface. It was a mixed community composed of both filamentous and single cells. We first sequenced the community as a whole, and then sequenced only the >10 um size fraction, which held almost only the filamentous portion.
    I managed to extract 3 genomes from the >10 um size fraction by both applying MetaBAT and by manually selecting contigs that formed isolated clusters (after merging the whole community and size fractionated samples) with VizBin. The analysis of gene markers confirmed that they belonged to two different Proteobacterial classes and I managed to isolate the most closely related genome for each environmental genome.
    Now I would like to scaffold my contigs and complete them as much as I can. Both samples were sequenced on an Illumina MiSeq platform with 2x300 bp paired-end reads. I tried by aligning the contigs on their most closely-related genome with CONTIGuator and then trying to close the gaps with GapCloser, but I'm not sure it's the best strategy.
    What would you suggest me, instead?
    Best regards

    -MikeT

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    09-28-2026, 10:25 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
0 responses
37 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
37 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...