No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bam file of RNA-seq

Hi, forks

When I import my RNA-seq in BAM format to the CLC genomic workbench, it automatically turns out to be two files with different file name. I thougth these two files are the same. But when I did reads-mapping of the two files separately, I found that total reads of two files are different, also the percentage of mapped reads varied with the same parameter settings.

Very confused with these two files. Could anyone help to explain it? Thanks!

Are there different read groups, perhaps two different samples in the BAM? How was it produced (tool, command example, etc.)? Maybe you could show examples of SAM lines from each of the two files ...

Comment

The bam file is generated by sequencing company. And they are indicated as one sample.
      Could you tell me how to show SAM lines from the two files?
      Thanks!

Comment

If you're comfortable working on the command line (linux/unix, Mac OS X terminal?) and have samtools installed, use 'samtools view' ...
        If not, can you get helpful details about the aligned reads by hovering over features in CLC?

Comment

I get samtools installed and it is a huge file.
          which command can be used to see the file page by page?
          I tried less | samtools view myfile.bam.
          It didnot work.

Comment

Maybe CLC Bio partitions the files into paired and non-paired files. Could this be waht happened? (It does this with FASTQ files, after trimming and discarding bad reads)

samtools view myfile.bam |less

should work for you.
            Last edited by kopi-o; 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you, kopi-o!

Both of them are pointing to paired files. One is *** [no read group](paired), the other is ***(paired).

Comment

OK, so maybe your BAM file contains some alignments for reads tagged with a read group (@RG) and some without a read group. It could be a merged file of alignments from two different instrument runs, for instance. Could that be it?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses