No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEXSeq sig-regulated exons only high in one sample

Hello,

I am comparing two biological conditions each condition has 2 biological replicates. The design matrix is:

samples = data.frame( + condition = c("high","high","low","low"), + replicate = c(1:2,1:2), + row.names = c("high1","high2","low1","low2"), + stringsAsFactors = TRUE, + check.names = FALSE + )

After creating my exon count set, I make a BA plot and color all the significant hits "padjust<0.05" in red. The vast majority of my sig-regulated exons are higher in my high sample with almost none in the low sample. A plot is attached, FPKM=read counts.

I have normalized my samples in a number of ways including the technique included with DEXSeq. I think my problem is that one pair replicates has a large variance and therefore the exons that are regulated in this direction are not detected?

I would like to test/demonstrate this by plotting the variance for EACH biological sample against the mean. Can someone show me how this might be accomplished.

TIA
    Last edited by Pedrissimo; 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM.

Hi,

First of all... your plot looks really strange, why do you have negative FPKM/read count values?

What did you give as input to DEXSeq? You should give it raw count values per exon
    can you send the commands that we use and your sessionInfo?

Alejandro

Comment

Hi Alejandro,

Sorry for the lack of clarity. from the table generated below, I take all padj values < 0.05 and graph their log2 foldchanges in blue, the non-significants are in grey. Here are the commands I issued:

annotationfile = file.path("hg19-chr.gtf")

samples = data.frame( + condition = c("high","high","low","low"), + replicate = c(1:2,1:2), + row.names = c("high1","high2","low1","low2"), + stringsAsFactors = TRUE, + check.names = FALSE + )

fullFilenames<- list.files("path to files",full.names=TRUE,pattern="counts.txt")

ecs<- read.HTSeqCounts(countfiles = fullFilenames,design = samples,flattenedfile = annotationfile)

ecs<- estimateSizeFactors(ecs)

ecs<- estimateDispersions(ecs)

ecs<- fitDispersionFunction(ecs)

ecs<- estimatelog2FoldChanges(ecs)

test<- testForDEU(ecs)

res1<- DEUresultTable(test)

> sessionInfo()
      R version 2.14.1 (2011-12-22)
      Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
      [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C
      [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
      [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
      [7] LC_PAPER=C LC_NAME=C
      [9] LC_ADDRESS=C LC_TELEPHONE=C
      [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
      [1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

other attached packages:
      [1] multicore_0.1-7 DEXSeq_1.0.2 Biobase_2.14.0

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
      [1] hwriter_1.3 plyr_1.7.1 statmod_1.4.14 stringr_0.6 tools_2.14.1

Comment

Hi again,

The direction of the changes that you observe should not be affected by a higher variance in one of the biological replicates. What I still find strange are the negative count values in your MvsA plot. I would suggest to update to a newer version of DEXSeq, could you also send the output of
        Code:
        head(counts(ecs))
        and an updated MvsA plot as the one in the vignette?

Alejandro

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses