Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • narges
    Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 29

    #1

    using Cuffdiff without gene and transcript discory

    Hi all,

    I want to use Cuffdiff and I am just interested in differentially expressed genes but not any gene discovery. So I have used the Bam files from tophat output and then using them as the input of cuffdiff. Below is the code I have used but nothing is run and it says there is a command mistake. Is it due to the point that I have not run cufflinks before it can it be due to the point that I have used flag -G before my gtf file just for not interested in discovery of new genes?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    #!/bin/bash
    #$ -cwd
    #$ -pe smp 12
    module use /app/modulefiles
    module add samtools
    module add bowtie/2.0.0-beta7
    module add tophat/2.0.4
    module add cufflinks/2.0.2-beta
    cuffdiff -o output -p 12 -G /Genes/genes.gtf -L Male,Female /group1/accepted_hits.bam /group2/accepted_hits.bam
    Last edited by narges; 09-03-2012, 05:54 AM.
  • EGrassi
    Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 66

    #2
    Afaik from http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/manual.html cuffdiff does not have a -G option but just wants the gtf as first argument before the bam files, eg:

    cuffdiff -o output -p 12 -L Male,Female /Genes/genes.gtf /group1/accepted_hits.bam /group2/accepted_hits.bam

    Comment

    • xiongdianguang
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 9

      #3
      I recommended you to read the paper<Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq reveals unannotated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation> .I want it can help you

      Comment

      • xiongdianguang
        Junior Member
        • Apr 2012
        • 9

        #4
        by the way. you can try it after you run cufflinks.Because the file produce by cufflinks is necessary when you run cuffdiff.

        Comment

        • narges
          Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 29

          #5
          Thank you EGrassi. You are right, now it works

          Comment

          • narges
            Member
            • Aug 2012
            • 29

            #6
            Originally posted by xiongdianguang View Post
            by the way. you can try it after you run cufflinks.Because the file produce by cufflinks is necessary when you run cuffdiff.
            Thank you so much for the paper. But are you sure that I need the cufflinks results for the cuffdiff? Since in the manual it is written that I can run cuffdiff directly with Bam tophat results.

            Comment

            • EGrassi
              Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 66

              #7
              Originally posted by narges View Post
              Thank you so much for the paper. But are you sure that I need the cufflinks results for the cuffdiff? Since in the manual it is written that I can run cuffdiff directly with Bam tophat results.
              (For nothing!)
              If you do not want to work with new possible isoforms suggested by you RNAseq data (produced by cufflinks) you can just use a known GTF as the annotation used to align your reads with tophat and then for cuffdiff directly.

              Comment

              • glados
                Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 59

                #8
                You do not need to run cufflinks before cuffdiff! Especially not if you're not interested in new genes/isoforms. Then just use your annotation gtf and the bam files. They even mention it in the manual.

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  Today, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                27 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                24 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                45 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                1 response
                55 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...