Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sol View Post
    but, o z-score, is based on what data? and what is difference between q-value and p-value. I don't understand.
    Thanks
    Z-score is also based on your input data. We assume that most of genes are not differentially expressed. Please refer to our DEGseq paper's supplementary material: http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...28-File001.pdf
    Search "Z-score" for details.

q-value is a kind of corrected p-value for multiple testing. Please refer to Section 2.3 of our DEGseq paper:
    "2.3 Multiple testing correction
    For the above methods, the P-values calculated for each gene are adjusted to Q-values for multiple testing corrections by two alternative strategies (Benjamini and Hochberg, 1995; Storey and Tibshirani, 2003). Users can set either a P-value or a false discovery rate (FDR) threshold to identify differentially expressed genes.
    "

If it is still unclear, please let me know. Thanks.
    Xi Wang

Comment

• Thanks

and the RPKM. how to normalize the data?
      I divide the number of reads by the size of the gene and divide by all the reads?
      How it is calculated
      thanks

Comment

Thanks

and the RPKM. how to normalize the data?
        I divide the number of reads by the size of the gene and divide by all the reads?
        How it is calculated
        thanks
        Actually, we recommand the users feed the raw read counts (that is the number of reads falling in a gene's exonic region) to DEGseq. DEGseq will normalize the data according the sequencing depth for each sample.
        Xi Wang

Comment

• but, what is the mean RPKM?
          thanks

Comment

but, what is the mean RPKM?
            thanks
            The normalized read count for a region (say a gene or an exon), against the region length (measured by kilo-base) and the sequencing depth (measured by million reads). So RPKM is short for Reads Per Kilo-base per Million reads.
            Xi Wang

Comment

• What is the function of the MA plot the fold change??
              The graph shows the relationship in the MA-plot, no??
              thanks

Comment

• the results of the DEGseq, already can be used directly for analysis or should i make some other standardization
                thanks

Comment

What is the function of the MA plot the fold change??
                  The graph shows the relationship in the MA-plot, no??
                  thanks
                  I am not very clear what you want to know by asking these questions.
                  For detailed questions, I prefer you sent me emails: [email protected]. I will give you more rapid replies regarding DEGseq. Thanks.
                  Xi Wang

Comment

the results of the DEGseq, already can be used directly for analysis or should i make some other standardization
                    thanks
                    The answer is yes. You can apply the results to function analysis, say GO enrichment analysis. Alternatively, you can refer to GOseq, which takes into account the gene length bias.
                    Xi Wang

Comment

• Hello,
                      I am new to R, and would like to use your DEGseq package to identify differentially expressed genes between my libraries. In my case I have 2 libraries to compare. I have calculated the RPKM's using a program written by a member of my lab, an example of how the file looks is shown here:

Chr Gene Start End Gene_len Reads RPKM Log2(RPKM)
                      1 AT1G01010.1 3631 5899 1688 45 1.58899 0.668107
                      1 AT1G01020.1 5928 8737 1623 104.73 3.84621 1.94344
                      1 AT1G01020.2 6790 8737 1085 72.2697 3.97015 1.98919
                      1 AT1G01030.1 11649 13714 1905 78 2.44051 1.28718
                      1 AT1G01040.1 23146 31227 6251 1159 11.0513 3.46615
                      1 AT1G01046.1 28500 28706 207 4 1.15178 0.203866
                      1 AT1G01050.1 31170 33153 976 2186 133.5 7.06069

I am unsure which part of your package to use (I think DEGexp?) to analyze the data. Also, if you could help me with what method to use (i.e. LRT, MATR, etc...).

I have read through the examples on the usage of the package, but am still unsure.

Thank you in advance for your help

Comment

• Hello Marisa,

Thanks for using DEGseq. You may use the function DEGexp to detect differentially expressed genes, and the read counts (the 6th column of your file) are recommanded to feed to DEGexp. Details can be found in our Bioinformatics paper. There are slight difference between the method LRT, FET and MARS, of which the MARS method was proposed by us based on the M-A plot using a normal distribution approximation.

hope this helps.
                        Xi Wang

Comment

• Hi and thanks for the reply! I have decided to use the MARS method after reading through your paper. The one thing I an confused about is the actual usage of R. When reading through your manual I am still confused about the actual commands used to run DEGexp. Below is the usage you have listed in the manual for DEGexp2 (which I think I need to use since I have two different input files).

geneExpFile <- system.file("extdata", "GeneExpExample5000.txt", package="DEGseq")
                          outputDir <- file.path(tempdir(), "DEGexpExample")
                          exp <- readGeneExp(file=geneExpFile, geneCol=1, valCol=c(7,9,12,15,18))
                          exp[30:35,]
                          exp <- readGeneExp(file=geneExpFile, geneCol=1, valCol=c(8,10,11,13,16))
                          exp[30:35,]
                          DEGexp2(geneExpFile1=geneExpFile, geneCol1=1, expCol1=c(7,9,12,15,18), groupLabel1="kidney", geneExpFile2=geneExpFile, geneCol2=1, expCol2=c(8,10,11,13,16), groupLabel2="liver", method="MARS", outputDir=outputDir)
                          cat("outputDir:", outputDir, "\n")

Questions:
                          1) Is each command entered on a separate line? It is unclear where the line breaks are.
                          2)I am unsure which parts of the example usage listed above I need to change for my specific case. Obviously I need to specify the correct file paths and names etc...
                          3)Since I am using two separate files where do I specify this in the commands above? I can't tell from the example commands where to do this.
                          4) Where can I enter a q-value threshold?
                          5)I tried to highlight in bold parts of the example I do not understand the meaning of or could not find an explanation of in the manual.

The example of my input file is in the previous post.
                          Basically, my problem is with the usage of R. If you could help me by indicating how I can apply the example usage to my files that would be great.

Thank you,
                          Marisa

Comment

• Hi Marisa,

Thanks for your questions.

1) please refer to this site: http://www.bioconductor.org/packages...t/doc/DEGseq.R
                            "exp[30:35,]" is just used for display the values of the matrix "exp" in lines 30-35

2) yes, you need to specify your files, and the column for gene names (geneCol=?), the columns for gene expression values (valCol=??), etc..

3) Please pay attention to the parts in bold
                            Code:
                            DEGexp2([B]geneExpFile1="your_gene_exp_file_1"[/B], geneCol1=1, expCol1=c(7,9,12,15,18), groupLabel1="kidney", [B]geneExpFile2="your_gene_exp_file_2"[/B],  geneCol2=1, expCol2=c(8,10,11,13,16), groupLabel2="liver", method="MARS", outputDir=outputDir)
                            4) do it like this:
                            Code:
                            DEGexp2(geneExpFile1="your_gene_exp_file_1", geneCol1=1, expCol1=c(7,9,12,15,18),geneExpFile2="your_gene_exp_file_2",  geneCol2=1, expCol2=c(8,10,11,13,16), [B]thresholdKind=3, qValue=1e-3[/B], method="MARS", outputDir=outputDir)
                            5) ignore the bold words in the first two lines, they are just for this example.
                            valCol stands for which column contains the (expression) value you want to analyze. For you case, you may set "valCol=6".
                            Last edited by Xi Wang; 11-08-2010, 11:23 PM.
                            Xi Wang

Comment

• Thank you so much! That solved my problems!

Comment

• Hello

I'm using samWrapper to do some statistical analysis in my samples.
                                I have 2 groups, each one with 5 biological replicates.
                                However, I'm having some weird results.
                                Even if all the samples don't show any read to some genes, some times these genes are included in the list of genes with difference in gene expression (Signature =TRUE).

The parameters that I used are:
                                Value are in RPKM
                                nperm= 1000
                                min.fold-change=2
                                max.qValue=1e-04
                                paired=FALSE

Should I include some restriction term to avoid that??

By the way, the seed standard value is 100???
                                Is there some benefit if I modify it?

Thanks for the help and for this program, it is great!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses