Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sqcrft
    Member
    • May 2012
    • 29

    #1

    40bp paired reads for novel transcripts identification, which software?

    I have some 40bp paired reads RNAseq data, basically that 40 x 2 from each RNA fragment.

    It seems to me that, tophat prefers reads that is longer than 25. Is there some software that you recommend and can use such short reads to identify novel transcripts?

    Or should I just cut the reads into 3 piece of 13bp long? It seems a little crazy to me. but considering it allow at most 1 junction, then, it seems to me that the method might work?

    Any suggestions, fellows?
  • biznatch
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 124

    #2
    My understanding of how Tophat works is that if it can't align the entire read it divides it into (by default) 25bp chunks and tries to align those separately. You can change the size they get split into, maybe set it to 20bp so then each of your reads will get split in half.

    Comment

    • NicoBxl
      not just another member
      • Aug 2010
      • 264

      #3
      For new transcript detection, try reference-based transcriptome assembly like cufflinks

      Comment

      • sqcrft
        Member
        • May 2012
        • 29

        #4
        thanks, that is what I am thinking. It seems to me that tophat works better with 3 pieces, that is why they recommend a minimal 75 = 25 x 3 read length.

        Now, I am not sure whether I should try cut into 3 pieces or 2 pieces: 13 x 3 or 20 x 2.

        Comment

        • sqcrft
          Member
          • May 2012
          • 29

          #5
          Thanks, I will probably go with cufflinks later.

          but that is next step. right now the main issue to me is about the alignment.
          The alignment needs to be optimized at the fist place before cufflinks works. It seems to me that 40bp is too short for alignment software optimized for novel transcript identification.

          Originally posted by NicoBxl View Post
          For new transcript detection, try reference-based transcriptome assembly like cufflinks

          Comment

          • biznatch
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2010
            • 124

            #6
            I don't think tophat necessarily works better with 3 segments for each read, do you see that somewhere? But I know that if your sequences get too short it gets harder to get specific alignments. I would try 2x20 (or try both and compare). There may be other options to change to optimize for shorter reads as well.

            Comment

            • sqcrft
              Member
              • May 2012
              • 29

              #7
              I am now more inclined to use 20 x 2 now. But probably I will try both, computation facility is free for me any way.

              I can't find a source now to support the point: 3-piece is better, but I believe I saw it somewhere before.

              Here is a not so strong support

              "TopHat generates its database of possible splice junctions from two sources of evidence. The first and strongest source of evidence for a splice junction is when two segments from the same read (for reads of at least 45bp) are mapped at a certain distance on the same genomic sequence or when an internal segment fails to map"



              It seems to me that, if you have 3 pieces, you are more likely to have two pieces mapped to two adjacent exons. If you have only two pieces, the only possible way is that, the splicing junction is right in the middle of the read, thus is less likely to happen. But, I couldn't find a formal statement from a paper or the tophat website to support this point.

              Originally posted by biznatch View Post
              I don't think tophat necessarily works better with 3 segments for each read, do you see that somewhere? But I know that if your sequences get too short it gets harder to get specific alignments. I would try 2x20 (or try both and compare). There may be other options to change to optimize for shorter reads as well.

              Comment

              • alexdobin
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2009
                • 161

                #8
                Originally posted by sqcrft View Post
                I have some 40bp paired reads RNAseq data, basically that 40 x 2 from each RNA fragment.

                It seems to me that, tophat prefers reads that is longer than 25. Is there some software that you recommend and can use such short reads to identify novel transcripts?

                Or should I just cut the reads into 3 piece of 13bp long? It seems a little crazy to me. but considering it allow at most 1 junction, then, it seems to me that the method might work?

                Any suggestions, fellows?
                You can try STAR with --seedSearchStartLmax 20 or smaller (this effectively defines the "segment" length). Even though you are looking for novel transcripts, I would highly recommend "mapping with annotations" as it reduces the misalignment rate.

                Comment

                • sqcrft
                  Member
                  • May 2012
                  • 29

                  #9
                  Thanks, that is what I am doing now.
                  I am using the ensembl gtf as reference, also split reads in to 2 piece of 20bp.

                  other option I am using is to set maximal intron size at 5kb to reduce false discovery due to short 40bp reads. and "--coverage-search"

                  Originally posted by alexdobin View Post
                  You can try STAR with --seedSearchStartLmax 20 or smaller (this effectively defines the "segment" length). Even though you are looking for novel transcripts, I would highly recommend "mapping with annotations" as it reduces the misalignment rate.

                  Comment

                  Latest Articles

                  Collapse

                  • SEQadmin2
                    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                    by SEQadmin2


                    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                    ...
                    Today, 10:25 AM
                  • SEQadmin2
                    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                    by SEQadmin2




                    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                  ad_right_rmr

                  Collapse

                  News

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                  0 responses
                  27 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                  0 responses
                  24 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                  1 response
                  46 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                  1 response
                  55 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Working...