No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq V DESeq2

Hi

I get alot more DE genes when I analyse my RNA Seq dataset using the current version of DESeq versus DESeq2 -just using the default settings for both.

Its a simple design of 10 disease V 10 control samples but I get an extra ~1500 genes identified as significantly DE at an FDR of 5% using DESeq2.

I know DESeq2 has more powerful statistic etc but is this great of a difference likely or could I be doing something wrong...(more likely!) .

I'd appreciated any advice!

thanks!

This is actually interesting. Would you mind sending me your count table? (Blank out gene names and obscure sample names if your data is confidential.)

Comment

Yes that seems interesting to analyze. 1500 extra DE genes seems a lot.. I suppose you used the same count matrix as input ?

Comment

Thanks Simon -I've sent you the count table via email if that's OK.

Yep its the same count matrix.

Comment

I am actually seeing something quite similar.
          Using the same counts table, DESeq2 is giving vastly more differentially expressed genes than DESeq (at FDR 0.05).

(3 biological rep vs 3 biological rep comparisons)

Set1: 5469 DEG with DESeq, 13307 DEG with DESeq2
          Set2: 15123 DEG with DESeq, 22127 DEG with DESeq2
          Set3: 3818 DEG with DESeq, 10221 DEG with DESeq2

That just seems a bit odd to me.
          (Using R 3.0.1)

Comment

Same thing for me, getting A LOT of more significantly different genes (tried with 2 different projects). Though I assumed that was intended.

Comment

Well, yes, it is intended. DESeq had a rather ugly hack to ensure type-I error control, which cost a lot of power, and fixing this was the core aim of the development of DESeq2.

It's only that for the datasets we used to test it on the improvement was not as dramatic - hence my surprise. However, we used designed experiments with cell cultures to test, and we expect that the improvement will be more pronounced for experiments involving patient data with different genotype, which show stronger within-group variability. So, I guess this is all as it should be, and our improvement was just really needed.

Comment

hi simon

as a converse to the above

i used deseq to analyse data from human t cells from controls (n=6) vs disease (n=5). the analysis that showed differential expression was based on a dispersion estimate using the method "per-condition" and sharing mode "fit-only"

now having analysed the same samples using the standard deseq2 analysis, there is no differential expression between the 2 groups (at a fdr<0.1).

is it reasonable to conclude that there is in fact no difference between groups as indicated by the deseq2 analysis and that the only reason deseq gave a significant result was becuase the tweaks above rendered the analysis less robust?

Comment

Why did you use the "fit-only" mode? Ysing DESeq with "fit-only" is not robust, which is why we advise against using it except in special cases. The more robust analysis with DESeq2 is most likely closer to the truth.

Comment

Hi there, in my case, I got some genes that were significant (padj of 0.000000000495 in DESeq and also 2.06326E-15 in edgeR) but got NA in DESeq2. I am not sure what is the particular behaviour of NA or when will DESeq2 return NA. I used the standard pipeline of DESeq2 as written in the manual and the counts for this gene are as follow:
                    Case:
                    7 30 60 24 35
                    Control:
                    127 188 101 236 116

And I did get some output from DESeq2, not all fields are NA:
                    baseMean log2FoldChange lfcSE pvalue padj
                    89.18039938 1.87590805 0.299465406 NA NA

Comment

hi choishingwan,

Could you provide the version number for DESeq2? Also could you provide the output of mcols( dds )[geneNumber, ]

It could either be due to a count outlier (although it doesn't appear as if any of these are outliers) or due to independent filtering if you are using the latest development branch.

I plan to add a metadata column which would explain why a p-value is set to NA.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply, my sessionInfo are as follow:

Code:
                        R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16)
                        Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
                        [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252    LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C                           LC_TIME=English_United States.1252    

attached base packages:
                        [1] parallel  stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
                        [1] DESeq2_1.0.18           RcppArmadillo_0.3.900.0 Rcpp_0.10.4             lattice_0.20-15         Biobase_2.20.1          GenomicRanges_1.12.4    IRanges_1.18.2          BiocGenerics_0.6.0     

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
                         [1] annotate_1.38.0      AnnotationDbi_1.22.6 DBI_0.2-7            genefilter_1.42.0    grid_3.0.1           locfit_1.5-9.1       RColorBrewer_1.0-5   RSQLite_0.11.4       splines_3.0.1        stats4_3.0.1         survival_2.37-4     
                        [12] XML_3.98-1.1         xtable_1.7-1

When using mcols(dds)[geneNumber,], I've got the following:

Code:
                        DataFrame with 1 row and 26 columns
                           baseMean   baseVar   allZero dispGeneEst dispGeneEstConv    dispFit dispersion  dispIter  dispConv dispOutlier   dispMAP Intercept condition_Control_vs_Case SE_Intercept SE_condition_Control_vs_Case WaldStatistic_Intercept
                          <numeric> <numeric> <logical>   <numeric>       <logical>  <numeric>  <numeric> <numeric> <logical>   <logical> <numeric> <numeric>                 <numeric>    <numeric>                    <numeric>               <numeric>
                        1   89.1804  4592.645     FALSE   0.1996928            TRUE 0.02251914  0.1365872         9      TRUE       FALSE 0.1365872  5.166256                  1.875908    0.2398174                    0.2994654                21.54245
                          WaldStatistic_condition_Control_vs_Case WaldPvalue_Intercept WaldPvalue_condition_Control_vs_Case WaldAdjPvalue_Intercept WaldAdjPvalue_condition_Control_vs_Case  betaConv  betaIter  deviance  maxCooks cooksOutlier
                                                        <numeric>            <numeric>                            <numeric>               <numeric>                               <numeric> <logical> <numeric> <numeric> <numeric>    <logical>
                        1                                 6.26419                   NA                                   NA                      NA                                      NA      TRUE         9  95.78522  2.211495         TRUE

It seems messy when I paste the output here, is there anyway for me to make it more organized?
                        Last edited by choishingwan; 07-24-2013, 11:48 PM. Reason: Just make the output more organize

Comment

It seems messy when I paste the output here, is there anyway for me to make it more organized?
                          Use the CODE markup:
                          Code:
                           Put "[CODE_]" (without the "_") before and "[/CODE_]" 
                          (again, without the "_") after the block to make it appear in monospace and
                          with line breaks at the right places.

Comment

The Cook's cutoff used here is the .75 quantile of the F(p, m-p) distribution. So for 2 parameters (intercept and condition) and 10 samples, we use a cutoff of:

> qf(.75, 2, 10 - 2)
                            [1] 1.656854

The sample with count 60 is getting 2.211495, a high estimate of Cook's distance (meaning the log fold change would change a lot if this sample were removed), although from looking at the counts I agree that this is not desirable behavior to give this gene a p-value of NA. I will investigate how we might better set this cutoff.

You can set a higher cutoff manually or turn off the filtering by Cook's with:

dds <- estimateSizeFactors(dds)
                            dds <- estimateDispersions(dds)
                            # or use a higher cutoff:
                            p <- 2
                            m <- 10
                            dds <- nbinomWaldTest(dds, cooksCutoff=qf(.95,p,m-p))

# turn off filtering:
                            dds <- nbinomWaldTest(dds, cooksCutoff=FALSE)
                            Last edited by Michael Love; 07-25-2013, 02:22 AM.

Comment

I see, maybe I should try turning off the Cook's filtering and see if these NA still persist.

Thank you

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses