Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting mapped read count from a BED file - bedtools coverage?

Hi, all. I've been trying to analyze an experiment that I downloaded from GEO, GSE34241, which has four samples assayed with RNA-Seq (AB SOLiD System). Apart from being interested in some gene expression in this experiment, I'm using it as a tutorial for dealing with new file formats (which never ends).

The authors did not upload any data in the Series Matrix or SOFT files. Instead, they uploaded four BED files. After spending probably way too much time trying to figure out how to extract matches against the TAIR10 genome, I finally downloaded the latest bedtools2 from github, and lo and behold it has a nice coverage sub-command that works with these files. I've checked the first output number, # features in sample file that overlap the interval in the genome file, and it pans out for some genes I know. The other three outputs are: # bases in genome file that had non-zero coverage; length of entry in genome file; fraction of bases in genome file that had non-zero coverage.

SO, I'm tempted to use the first number, # features that overlap, as my read counts to do the usual further analysis with DESeq2 (normaliztion, DE analysis). But are there some things I should look out for from bedtools coverage output, like, say, if the fraction of bases in the genome file that were not covered is large, for example?

The command I used is, for example:

bedtools coverage -a GSM845432_F1DPI_TAIR10.bed -b TAIR10_GFF3_genes.gff > GSM845432_F1DPI_TAIR10.txt

Thanks for any tips! This is a learning exercise, the RNA-Seq data that my lab generated was read-mapped by DNANexus and I'm hoping that they know what they're doing; at least it's a standardized workflow.
    Sam Hokin
    Computational Scientist, Carnegie and NCGR

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses