Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a valid method for GO functional annotation?

Hi all,

I am working on the functional annotation of a de novo assembled transcriptome. This is my procedure:
    • BLASTX search against Refseq non-redundant protein database.
    • Top hit selection from Blast search.
    • Top hit association bettwen RefSeq id and GO with a idmapping table provided by Georgetown university: ftp://ftp.pir.georgetown.edu/databases/idmapping/. (A transcript can be associated with several GO terms).
    • For each GO term associated with a contig I search the parent of the term in AmiGO browser, then i count the coincidences and generate a pie graph for it.

Is this a good way to do GO functional annotation? Would you recommend me another protocol to do this?

I cannot comment on the final step but have performed steps 1-3 using the tool GOanna http://www.agbase.msstate.edu/cgi-bin/tools/GOanna.cgi and then used the resulting GO slim file and custom python scripts to develop probes targeting specific physiological processes. I would, however, advise you to be careful of the cutoff e-value you use for keeping BLASTX results, as you will likely not examine all of the matches by eye (i.e., "low" value matches even from the best result might be garbage).

Comment

We have used Trinotate (part of the Trinity package) to annotate transcriptome.

Comment

We developed an on-line tool to do just that: TRAPID

Paper: http://genomebiology.com/2013/14/12/R134
        Link: http://bioinformatics.psb.ugent.be/webtools/trapid/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses