Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superscript "Stitching" low complexity fragments?

Hi all,
    I have a low complexity RNA sample (think a purified pool of a single gene) that I'm trying to prepare for sequencing using the TruSeq kit, and I'm ending up with large (typically >1kb) fragments, rather than the usual 300-400 bp fragments in a typical TruSeq prep.

I've traced the troublesome step to the RT, where the fragmented RNA is a distribution of sizes right around 200bp, but the cDNA is a much wilder distribution, with a strong peak around 900bp. A mixed pool of total RNA run exactly in parallel behaves normally (top rows in the attached bioanalyzer traces), giving size distributions consistent with normal libraries.

Any thoughts on what's going on here, and more importantly how to prevent it? The documentation I've found says "the tendency for SuperScriptTM II to switch templates is minimal since it is an RNase H minus enzyme", but I'm worried that with this super-low complexity sample, the fragments are somehow scaffolding each other to form a full-length version of the gene (I haven't yet determined whether this happens at the first or second strand synthesis yet), whereas in a more normal RNA sample, the odds that the correct fragments would link up are much smaller.

Thanks!
    Peter Combs
    Attached Files

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses