Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
    Have a look at my answer over on biostars to a similar question. That should tell you most of what you want to know (particularly given the included links and replies from others).
    Hi dpryan
    If I only have one sample in each condition, how do I do the DE analysis?
    Cause I think I need at least 2 replicates in each condition and then doing the DE statistical by DESeq/edgeR/Cuffdiff. Am I right?

If I don't run Cufflinks but running Htseq-counts,
    Could I use this kind of method to measure it?

gene1: (a1/s1)-(a2/s2)

a1 is the counts (i.e. the number of mapped reads) of this gene in sample1
    s1 is the total mapped reads in sample 1
    a2 is the counts (i.e. the number of mapped reads) of this gene in sample2
    s2 is the total mapped reads in sample 2

Or if I use FPKM calculated by Cifflinks to measure it ? i.e. FPKM1-FPKM2?

Comment

You don't do a DE analysis without replicates. The best you can do is look at the ranked fold-changes (have a look at the GFold package, which tries to do this in a somewhat more useful way). Personally, I wouldn't waste my time without good reason.

Comment

You don't do a DE analysis without replicates. The best you can do is look at the ranked fold-changes (have a look at the GFold package, which tries to do this in a somewhat more useful way). Personally, I wouldn't waste my time without good reason.
        I would recommend Gfold as well. Also I made Wrapper/GUI for it on iPlant Collaborative. I am going to test it out this or next week to see if it works properly on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapages View Post
          I would recommend Gfold as well. Also I made Wrapper/GUI for it on iPlant Collaborative. I am going to test it out this or next week to see if it works properly on it.
          Hi, dpryan and zapages, thank you both !

Comment

I found that the ranking of DE genes list (e.g. Top 1000 up/down regulated genes) are different in DESeq,edgeR,Cuffdiff,baySeq,...... (Of course they are different), now including this Gfold method, which is not reply on P-value but ''generalized fold change''.
            How do I final make the decision by ranking Significant genes? Each methods has their advantage and claimed their most reliable.

I remember last time I told you I am thinking to calculate the overlap over Top 1000 genes list among the 3-5 methods. And then decide to use the method with biggest overlap. Am I right? Or is this measurement too rude and naive ?Or any other methods from your suggestion?
            Last edited by super0925; 04-01-2014, 07:27 AM.

Comment

It doesn't matter which one you pick, they'll all be only vaguely meaningful at best...that's the problem with not having replicates.

Comment

It doesn't matter which one you pick, they'll all be only vaguely meaningful at best...that's the problem with not having replicates.
                Sorry, I didn't say it clearly, what I mean is the real dataset with replicate. Of course the ranking of TOP1000 DE genes are different from cuffdiff/Deseq/edgeR/Gfold/limma...... So I said do I need to do 3-5 simultaneously and then compare the overlap? The method with the biggest overlap is the best one? Cheers.

Comment

If you have replicates then there's no point in using GFold, so just exclude it. Aside from that, the best way to go forward is to make a relatively small list of candidates that aren't shared between the different packages and then see if they validate using other means (qPCR or whatever you prefer). Then you have an idea which package is better modeling your particular dataset. Try to pick candidates with relatively similar characteristics (i.e., fold-change and adjusted p-value) just to make it a more apples-to-apples comparison.

BTW, usually the most significant genes overlap pretty heavily among the various tools. It's normally at the margins of significance where you see differences (unsurprisingly).

Comment

DEseq and Heatmap

Can someone please advise what is the best script to create a heatmap with only differentially expressed genes? I've tried the script below and I am not sure this is correct way to do it

> select <- order(p.adjust( res$pvalue[keep], method="BH" ) < .1 )
                    > heatmap.2( assay(rld) [ select, ], scale="row", cexRow=0.5, cexCol=0.75,
                    + trace="none", dendrogram="column",
                    + col = rev(heat.colors(25)))

thank you

Comment

The general concept of that seems reasonable. My only concern would be if you're first subsetting "res$pvalue" and if you haven't already done this with "rld" (or the object you used to make it" then the "select" indices may not be comparable. Otherwise, that seems reasonable.

Comment

thank you Ryan, do you mean I need to transform my data with rld before I select a subset?

Comment

No, my concern is whether the genes from " res$pvalue[keep]" correspond to those from "assay(rld)" or not, since in one case you're subsetting an object and the other not. Without knowing what you did in the previous steps, it's impossible to say of the indices in "select" are appropriate or not. Presumably you did things such that this makes sense, but this is unclear.

Comment

I have tried Gfold on my dataset . It seems works well. However, my samples are strand. I use strand (Tophat setting) and unstrand (the defaulf of Tophat) to map my samples and get the sam/bam file separately. However, the Top 100 genes ranking by GFold is almost same between strand and unstrand.Is it normal?

Comment

That would seem normal to me. If you used a stranded protocol then all of the counts and mappings should be very similar (they'd be identical in a perfect world).

Comment

Hi Ryan. The script I used does not seem to filter the genes based on padj < 0.1. I have followed the DESeq2 vignette and the only change I am introducing is the selection step for the genes based on the padj

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses