No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverage standards for RNA-sequencing

Hi,

As part of my new faculty appointment I am the faculty adviser for my department helping get off the ground an Illumina sequencing core for the university.

While trying to put together some guidelines regarding sequencing coverage I became quite confused as to what is right,
    Can anyone refer me to the most recent best practices or good papers dealing with this issue?

The original ENCODE recommendations do not agree much with my experience.
    Outside the fact that you need at least 3 and not 2 biological replicates to do good stats the 30M PE reads do not seem enough according to my calculation bellow:

Given a Human Genome size of 3 billion bp, assuming that 80% of the reads will be mapped with high accuracy and estimating that 10% of the genome makes polyA RNA (this is the proportion of the genome I usually end up mapping to)
    the average coverage of 30M 100 bp reads (0.03 billion reads) is: (0.03x100x0.8)/(3x0.1)= 8X
    this seems really low, is my calculation correct?

is my mistake assuming that 10% of the genome gets mapped (if we assume 2% then you get 40X coverage, but that is not my experience)

thanks in advance for the feedback

Coverage requirements depend upon your experiment. For differential gene expression with a well-annotated genome, biological triplicates at 15M single-end 50bp reads may suffice (e.g., see here). For isoform quantification or transcriptome assembly, 50M PE-100bp reads may be inadequate.

Comment

Depth recommendations from GenoHub (use as a guide).

This guide covers fundamentals of NGS technology and design of sequencing experiments. Topics include depth of coverage, read length and multiplexing.

Comment

Average coverage is not meaningful for RNA-Seq.
        Coverage is related to the level of expression of the gene.
        More "reads will be captured from highly expressed genes, and few reads will be captured from genes expressed at low levels."

Comment

"A transcriptome represents that small percentage of the genetic code that is transcribed into RNA molecules — estimated to be less than 5% of the genome in humans (Frith et al., 2005)."

Comment

Coverage and Read Depth by Sequencing Application - a new guide

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses