Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat Multihit Reads

Hi, I'm running the top hat aligner for a ribo-depleted human RNAseq dataset. I'm interested in looking at expression in snRNAs. These loci in particular are very repetitive and when I run Tophat using the default settings (allowing up to 20 hits for each read and reporting these secondary alignments), none of these loci are assigned any single mapping reads. I originally wanted to assign the other multi mappers using the single read count ratios (there is an option for this in Cufflinks) but since there are no single mappers, this probably won't work. I tried an alternative approach, setting Tophat -g 1, which based on my understanding assigns each read to it's best mapping location (based on the mapping score) or randomly, if all of the map scores are the same. This seems to have worked for my snRNAs. For the loci i've looked at, it seems that their ratios when compared to each other are about the same as when I allowed multi-mapping.

I want to know if using the -g 1 has any downfalls? It seems to work really well (based on my initial look) and it removes a lot of the complications that come with dealing with multi mapping reads in differential expression analyses. But if it does work so well, why is default to allow 20 multi mappers? Also, has anyone else come up with different ways to deal with multi mapping reads in differential expression analyses?

Thanks so much for your help!

This issue is discussed in a publication (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/12/516), which reports that accepting multi mapping reads (up to 10) is beneficial (Fig 1). It accounts for maximum
    number of gene detection especially genes with low expression levels. The authors argue
    that multihits allows the inclusion of homologous sites from the RNAseq data. Using a
    reference GTF file with predicted or known transcript models can alleviate the problem. But it is not an ideal case for studies where transcription of repeats is the focal point.
    Secondly this combination increases the false negative transcript population
    drastically.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses