No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq data sample

Hello,

I need some RNA seq data & the coresponding genome annotation.
    I'm new to the business and am trying to develop a segmentation method.

I searched the web but did not find untill this moment any good data.
    I don't need full genome but just >10MB sample.

Thank you,

Bogdan

Short Read Archive

Hi,

you could try the Short Read Archive (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra), although their datasets are normally in files of at least 500 Mb . . . you could just download some and then extract a reasonable subset of reads from the files (you might have to familiarize yourself a little bit with the formats beforehand).

I don't exactly know what you are trying to do, but if your method is meant to work on real-life data you should not restrict yourself too much in the size (like the max. 10 Mb that you mentioned), because you might end up developing something that works well on toy examples but does not scale well for the amounts of data a real-life RNA-Seq experiment might produce.

Cheers

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."

Comment

Thanks, I'll try to get the data from the ncbi site.
      And thanks again for the advice you gave me. I want to use a small smaple just to allow my machine to work. For the moment it can't handle big data.

Bogdan

Comment

The point made by Dethecor is a good one. There is nothing particularly unique about the substance of next-gen sequencing data itself. What is unique and remarkable about it is the sheer volume of it. What is needed most by the field is the ability to rapidly process these huge data sets without excessive memory usage. Start working with large data sets right away. In addition to SRA you can also find RNA-Seq data in GEO. They have a better interface for searching their data archive (IMHO).

For example ... if you go to the following link, select 'GEO DataSets' from the drop down menu, and use 'RNA-Seq' as your search term you currently get 78 RNA-Seq data sets deposited in GEO.
        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

All kinds of interesting test data sets to play around with in there...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses