Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • daanum
    Member
    • Nov 2015
    • 24

    #1

    RNASeq- Which method appropriate for Normalization?

    Hi,
    This question is to the people who have worked with RRBS methylation data and RNASeq data. I have RRBS methylation data for cell lines and the RNASeq data for the same cell lines. For RNASeq data I have used cuffdiff program for differential expression analysis but I am not quiet happy with it as it does not give per sample fpkm or read count information so that I can compare the expression in groups with the expression of each sample in those groups to validate the results of differential expression analysis. I would like to use other method of differential expression but I have a question that since I will be integrating the data with RRBS, should I consider only the method which generates the read counts in fpkm units(like cufflinks-cuffdiff)? I am thinking this because fpkm normalizes the reads by transcript length which other methods do not.

    My second question is that is there a standard method to integrate RRBS methylation data and RNASeq paired end data?

    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • bastianwur
    Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 98

    #2
    Why would the length matter? You should be comparing the same gene between conditions (then the length doesn't matter). Comparing different genes in the same condition (where a length correction would be necessary) doesn't make sense anyways (different kinetics of the proteins, different regulation/repression, different protein half life, etc.).

    For a read on normalization methods, this paper http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22988256 is the one to go to.
    Use DESeq2 or EdgeR (as short conclusion).

    Comment

    • Macspider
      Member
      • Feb 2016
      • 36

      #3
      Originally posted by bastianwur View Post
      Use DESeq2 or EdgeR (as short conclusion).
      Totally agree. Using FPKM or RPKM in this case can be done because cufflinks outputs it automatically in the isoforms.fpkm_tracking file so you don't bother using other units.
      What you need is to do a between lane normalization. This because different experiments can have different sequencing depths and statistical properties, due to the fact that you don't get the results in the same run. Thus, I would recommend a full quantile normalization or a global scaling. This will ensure you that the two lanes in the end have the same max value, mean and variance. Thus, they will be comparable.

      EDIT:
      I used EdgeR with cufflinks output and full quantile normalization, you can do that with many Bioconductor packages in R. I did it with EDASeq.
      Last edited by Macspider; 07-20-2016, 07:53 AM.

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
      0 responses
      11 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      34 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      28 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      48 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...