Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ribominus vs DSN

Has anyone used the DSN method (available on Illumina website - Duplex-specific thermostable nuclease)? I assume since it degrades highly-abundant transcripts, that it will prevent accurate quantitation, but I'm not sure to what extent. I have used ribominus in the past and it sucks (long protocol, not very efficient, low efficiency).

I don't have the data handy but according to Illumina it does not significant effect abundance of mRNA species. They have a plot comparing mRNA hits quantitated from a standard library prep (polyA selection) and a DSN library prep. They observed only a slight change for the most abundant transcripts.

The theory is that the conditions are tuned to hit the re-annealing curve before any mRNA derived cDNAs have had sufficient time to form duplexes.

Update:

Found what I was looking for. Slides 35-46 discuss the DSN normalization and slide #44 specifically addressed your question.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kmcarr; 10-25-2010, 12:36 PM. Reason: Add file

Comment

The other main benefit being that you can analyse degraded RNA samples because you don't have to use a poly-A selection step (they discuss using RNA extracted from FFPE tissue).

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
        I don't have the data handy but according to Illumina it does not significant effect abundance of mRNA species. They have a plot comparing mRNA hits quantitated from a standard library prep (polyA selection) and a DSN library prep. They observed only a slight change for the most abundant transcripts.

The theory is that the conditions are tuned to hit the re-annealing curve before any mRNA derived cDNAs have had sufficient time to form duplexes.

Update:

Found what I was looking for. Slides 35-46 discuss the DSN normalization and slide #44 specifically addressed your question.
        Thanks kmcarr for providing this document. I had seen this slide too, but now i realize that on the y-axis there is still a polyA selection going on. I am curious about what would give polyA (-DSN) vs. total (+DSN).
        The following slide (#45) may show this, but does the "Total RNA" really include DSN? If so, why is the effect on the most abundant transcripts the opposite of what is on the previous slide?

As you said, the assumption is that only the most abundant transcripts are affected, which is not a problem anyway: who cares about housekeeping genes? I am still wondering if this would not affect a quartile-based normalization method for instance.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses