Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tashia
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2018
    • 4

    #1

    Ribosomal RNA contamination

    Hi everyone,

    I have a question in relation to a differential expression analysis that I ran with rRNA contaminated samples.

    Essentially, my samples had 60-70% rRNA content, but I chose to go ahead with the analysis once removing these sequences since I had enough reads to work with (15-20M). Contamination was seen in both cases and controls.

    However, what I am wondering now is if I can trust the results I am seeing? Is there any way that high rRNA content can affect patterns of expression? Comparing results with cases and controls with no contamination I see 1. More DEGs in the non-contaminated sample 2. Different DEGs (only 1 gene overlap). Of course they are different people but they do have the same disease and the controls are matched so I am a bit at a loss to whether this makes sense

    Hope this was clear.
    Many thanks.
  • tashia
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2018
    • 4

    #2
    Bumping my own post.

    Comment

    • ddb
      Member
      • Feb 2012
      • 13

      #3
      Can you give some more details about your experiment set up and the methods / pipeline you are using. Is it possible that in your contaminated samples you do not have enough coverage to identify most of the differentially expressed genes?

      Comment

      • tashia
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2018
        • 4

        #4
        Originally posted by ddb View Post
        Can you give some more details about your experiment set up and the methods / pipeline you are using. Is it possible that in your contaminated samples you do not have enough coverage to identify most of the differentially expressed genes?
        I should have enough coverage in the contaminated samples. I had approximately 75M reads before removing the rRNA sequences.

        The pipeline is removing rRNA sequences with bbduk, trimming with trimmomatic, aligning with STAR (latest HG38 version) counting with HTseq and finally DESeq2. About half of the samples were contaminated but were sequenced at a greater depth to achieve the same coverage as in the non-contaminated samples once removing the rRNA content. A PCA plot shows that the contaminated samples are clearly distinct from the "good" batch. I have controlled for batch (and tried several tools) but the PCA plot still shows a clear distinction. It feels like either this seperation is due to that these samples were sequenced at two different times (but many people work with samples like this and I think I should be able to control for this) OR due to the fact that they had a lot of rRNA during sequencing.

        Do you think that expression levels can be affected by a high content of rRNA in the sample while sequencing?

        Comment

        • GenoMax
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2008
          • 7142

          #5
          Do you think that expression levels can be affected by a high content of rRNA in the sample while sequencing?
          Not likely. For a sequencer it is just DNA. Does not matter if it came from rRNA or some other gene. If the two sets of runs happened on two different chemistries or different machines then may be something else to consider.

          If your samples were all treated the same how come you have rRNA contamination in some samples but not others?

          Comment

          • tashia
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2018
            • 4

            #6
            Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            Not likely. For a sequencer it is just DNA. Does not matter if it came from rRNA or some other gene. If the two sets of runs happened on two different chemistries or different machines then may be something else to consider.

            If your samples were all treated the same how come you have rRNA contamination in some samples but not others?
            Thanks for your reply.
            Unfortunately the rRNA depletion failed in about half of the samples and instead of re-doing the libraries the sequencing facility sequenced at a greater coverage instead...

            They should have been run on the same machine and the only difference is that they were run at different times and then of course the contamination. However, if the rRNA contamination shouldn't cause any problems, I don't know why I can't control for this batch effect that I see in the PCA plot I have tried including batch in the model in DESeq2 and EdgeR. I have also tried correcting with RUVseq and ComBat. I am now looking into ImpulseDE2.

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Today, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            28 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            24 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            46 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...