No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking care of multihits in RNA seq runs

Hi,
    I've been using Galaxy to analyse rna seq data from mRNA isolated from Hela cells. Like others I have the problem of reads that are multihits. I have put up a workflow for analysis on Galaxy that involves the following steps:
    1. Run the data using tophat and allow up to 40 maps per read (default)
    2. Use a samtools feature to get rid of all mappings that are not mate paired and in a proper pair.
    3. Count up how many times an individual read is in the sam file and remove all read pairs that are not mapped to a unique site, putting them in a separate "multihits" file.
    4. Keep all the uniquely mapped proper mate paired hits in a unique hits sam file.

This approach generates more unique hits than asking tophat to throw out reads that do not uniquely map (this may have changed with the latest tophat release - I haven't checked yet). I think (and the tophat guys may correct me on this) this is because tophat may be removing reads where one end is not uniquely mapped but the other is (and therefore only makes sense with one of the mates).
    However, whatever tophat does (now or in the future) this approach does have the advantage of telling you where and how big the multihit problem is. My datset has, for example, 18 million unique proper paired reads, 1.3 million that map to two places, a few hundered thousand that map to 3 places and so on down the line.
    One problem with multihits is that we may be overestimating some genes by including multihits or conversely underestimating some genes by excluding them. This "Bristol" workflow allows us to at least know if a gene has a problem of being prone to multihits.

I think this approach is useful but I may have missed something or be behind the curve!! Who knows but I thought it might be a useful workflow to start a discussion about what to do with multihit reads.

Cheers
    David

new TopHAT

I am just curious if new version of TopHAt taken into considertaion this issue? Any one has any experience on this

Comment

This has been worrying me for long. Any experience will help.
      Thanks .

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses