No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transcription start sites (TSS)

Hi all!

I'm new to ChIPseq analysis and have a question regarding TSS.

I need to compare my ChIPseq regions against transcription start sites, human. Can I download TSS from Ensembl? Is transcription start site the same as transcript start (like first nucleotide of the first exon)?

When I tried to get them in ChIPPeakAnno package using
    EnsemblTSS<-getAnnotation(mart, featureType=c("TSS")))
    I got the same table with
    EnsemblAnnotation<-as.data.frame(getAnnotation(mart, featureType=c("TSS","miRNA", "Exon", "5utr", "3utr", "ExonPlusUtr")))
    How can it be the same?

Thank you!

I'm not very familiar with getting data from Ensembl, but you can get transcription start sites for all genes in the human genome from the UCSC Table Browser.

Group: Genes and Gene Prediction Tracks
    track: UCSC Genes
    table: known genes
    output format: selected fields...

Then click "get output" and select the fields you want, including "Transcription Start Position".

Comment

Originally posted by altodor View Post
      Is transcription start site the same as transcript start (like first nucleotide of the first exon)?
      No, the first codon of the first exon is the start codon "ATG" which also codes for methionine. This is called the translation start site.

The transcription start site is where the RNA polymerase binds to in the 5' UTR upstream of the start codon. IMHO

Maybe someone else can elaborate more. I dont want to give you the incorrect info.

Comment

I have done this sort of thing using the ensembl BioMart. However, the UCSC table browser for RefSeq gene annotations is my current favourite.

Comment

So, from Ensembl or RefSeq we get translation start sites, don't we?

And a lot of bioconductor packages, when refering to TSS, actually give us translation start site, not transcription start site (first of all, ChiPpeakAnno)

Does anyone use a database for TSS=transcription start sites?

I found this discussion about TSS:

Comment

Originally posted by kwatts59 View Post
            No, the first codon of the first exon is the start codon "ATG" which also codes for methionine. This is called the translation start site.

The transcription start site is where the RNA polymerase binds to in the 5' UTR upstream of the start codon. IMHO

Maybe someone else can elaborate more. I dont want to give you the incorrect info.
            This is incorrect.

The first codon of the first exon is approximately the transcription start site. The translation start site (i.e. the start of the CDS) is located somewhere within the transcript, but doesn't necessarily have to be in the first exon at all.

The first nucleotide of the first exon is a good approximation. The main issue with it is that the exact TSS can shift around a bit depending on tissue and condition, so the genome annotations are only so accurate. But they're a good start.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses