No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using bwa to map illumina paired end reads

hello,

ugh... this is such a stupid question, i'm embarrassed to ask it, but i must. i can't find a definition of the workflow to use bwa to map paired end reads anywhere (am i simply missing it?). i'm starting with fastq seq files and i know how to index the genome. compiling info from the snooping i've done - this is what i believe the workflow to be:

$ bwa aln genome.index.fa s_4_1_sequence.fastq > s_4_1.sai
    $ bwa aln genome.index.fa s_4_2_sequence.fastq > s_4_2.sai

$ bwa sampe genome.index.fa s_4_1.sai s_4_2.sai s_4_1_sequence.fastq s_4_2_sequence.fastq > s_4.sam

then, using samtools and s_4.sam i can create .bam and .bam.bai files.

is this correct? i think i understand the -b1 and -b2 options, but those are only used when starting w/ .bam files, which i'm not.

what is a little confusing to me is the two separate calls to 'bwa aln'. i suppose it's wildly wrong to (unix) cat the two s_4_[12]_sequence.fastq files together and make one call to 'bwa aln'?

thanks for your help,
    mike

I don't know that the sam file will reflect that you have paired reads if you cat the two fastqs together. It probably won't. If you carry out the default commands as you have written them, the software will figure out that the read are paired, and will set the flags, and ISIZE, etc correctly.

Comment

thanks for the help.

Comment

thanks. i've run bwa, as described above, w/ the paired end data and i believe everything went properly.

thanks again
        mike

Comment

Mikeworth,
          Did you remove the sequencing adaptors or are you relying on BWA to do the soft clipping at the ends of the reads?

Comment

i removed the adapters (and more) from the reads. our data was barcoded and i separated the reads via a perl script based on the barcodes and removed everything up to and including the barcodes.

i'm curious why you're asking?

thanks,
            mike

Comment

May please I get the commands to remove the seq-adaptor prior to bwa for PE Illumina ?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses