Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p-value for peak-calling using MACS

Hi I am trying to do peak-calling using MACS for some of my H3K4me3 ChIP-seq data. Using the default p-value of 1e-5 I only obtained 500+ peaks. But if I change the p-value to 1e-4 I got 1500+ peaks and by increasing it more to 1e-3 I got 7000+ peaks! My question is how do I know which is the best p-value to use? I would like to get more peaks but I also don't want any false positive peaks. Thanks for your help!

I am also very interested in knowing this because I am using MACS to do the peak calling too

Comment

Depends how many false positives you're willing to handle. The default is 1E-5 and if your enrichment is good enough you should have many thousand peaks at that level.

Comment

There is no best number and it completely depends on your data set. Load the data onto a genome visualizer and look at the peaks it is calling. Use your best judgement and validate by qPCR. Fold enrichment is another important and easy to understand parameter to consider.
        --------------
        Ethan

Comment

How do you mean? Are you talking about the BAM file from Bowtie or the BED file from MACS? I find that the output from MACS is just a bar. On the other hand the BAM files are quite big and time out on me when I try to visualize them.

Comment

dgrayson, if you use the -w option when running MACS you will generate a wig file which can be uploaded and visualized on a genome browser. I like to use the -w option with the -S option so that I only generate a single wig file instead of one for each chromosome.

Comment

Thanks- I've tried that. I'm running MACS in a local Galaxy server which does not produce wig output files (MACS 1.4 in Galaxy). In addition this version of Galaxy does not allow us to view our output in UCSC browser.

Comment

Maybe you can try using the web-based Galaxy? It allows you to generate a wig file, which is, in my opinion, really important for visualization of your chip datasets.

Comment

igv bam bai bed files

you can use IGV viewer. view bam ( samtools index to get bai file) of experiment control and the bed file to see an overall view.. bed will be bars of the peaks but bam with index will show tags and enrichment.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses