No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools mpileup/bcftools

Hi all,
    I read through samtools manuals several times, but I'm still not clear on how exactly samtools & bcftools decide to call a SNP. I've tried to run through multiple combination of arguments with mpileup (-B, -C, -q, etc) & bcftools, but still ran into the problem below. I even ran bcftools view on the bcf file without the varFilter step, but the problem persists.

I have 2 samples, an original & an "evolved" cell line. Based on numerous runs, I found that there are many SNPs being called only in the "evolved" cell line but not on the original, making it look like they're "novel" SNP. However, when I view them on IGV, I can see the SNP in the original cell line and there don't seem to be significant differences between the mapping quality or base quality at the SNP position in these 2 samples.
    It's not important to me if reads below a certain mapping quality don't get count, but the trouble is that it seems to be inconsistent. In one sample, SNPs on reads having mapping quality of 0 don't get count, but then they would get counted in the other sample, making it difficult to identify the true novel SNP. Is there anyway to force the SNP count to be more consistent?
    -Ann

Hi,

I'm also having a similar problem! I have PCR confirmed SNPs that I can see in IGV when I look at the BAM file, however they are not present after varFilter. I'm guessing that there are parameters that I need to change to include them, but there doesn't seem to be any trend in map quality or coverage that I can distinguish ones that are called vs. missed in the vcf output.

I mapped my PE Illumina reads with BWA and then running samtools mpileup:
    $ samtools mpileup -uf x.fasta Initial-sorted.bam | bcftools/bcftools view -bvcg - > initial.raw.bcf

Then ran:
    $bcftools view initial.raw.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -D500 > initial_snps.vcf

I've tried adding -E switch to the samtools mpileup and get alot more SNPs, however this still does not include the SNPs confirmed by PCR. Also tried increasing the -D value when on the bcftools commands - again increases SNP count, but still not ones I know of.

Please help! Not sure what else to do....

Comment

Try VarScan http://varscan.sourceforge.net/

It takes the 'mpileup -f reference' output (piped or in a file) and then calls variants based on statistical analysis. Their paper does a good job at describing the algorithm. Plus the command line parameters are much more straightforward.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks so much! The VarScan results seemed to agree much better with my pcr data!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses