No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting mapped nucleotides in a bam file

Hi !

Is there a way to go over a sorted bam file and count how many different matches there are for a specific nucleotide - for example for a reference nucleotide T in position x - there are :12 T , 3A, 4C 0G..?\

Thanks ahead!

if it's just for some nucleotides and you need no autmoation:
    IGV shows that information when you visualize it there's a coverage track. y moving the cursor over the relevant bar you'll get that information

Comment

if it's just for some nucleotides and you need no autmoation:
      IGV shows that information when you visualize it there's a coverage track. y moving the cursor over the relevant bar you'll get that information

Comment

Thanks for your answer!

I saw the anomaly in the IGV for couple of genes and now I would like to check it in about 500 genes... so I have to find a way to do it automatically ...

Comment

What about traditional SNP calling (for example using GATK). Is there any reason not to do it?

Comment

As far as I know snp calling won't always count a snp like one if there is not enough coverage or not sufficient quality score...
            In addition, when I used a snp caller I got the consensus nucleotide and since I would like to see how much of each nucleotide covers specific position I am not sure if it fits...

Do you know how to overcome these issues using snp callers?
            Thanks

Comment

you can set the criteria quite low and when using GATK (don't know for the others) it outputs the allele balance between the reference allele and the substituted allele.

It might miss some snps though if evidence is very low but I guess you do search variants with biological meaning and I guess he wouldn't miss those.

However, you would only get information of balance of 2 nucleotides. I don't think triallelic SNPs are supported yet.

Can't think of any other solution but maybe there's a fuction in bamtools/bedtools/samtools/picard that you might use

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses