Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • moriah
    Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 23

    #1

    Counting mapped nucleotides in a bam file

    Hi !

    Is there a way to go over a sorted bam file and count how many different matches there are for a specific nucleotide - for example for a reference nucleotide T in position x - there are :12 T , 3A, 4C 0G..?\

    Thanks ahead!
  • ulz_peter
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 219

    #2
    if it's just for some nucleotides and you need no autmoation:
    IGV shows that information when you visualize it there's a coverage track. y moving the cursor over the relevant bar you'll get that information

    Comment

    • ulz_peter
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 219

      #3
      if it's just for some nucleotides and you need no autmoation:
      IGV shows that information when you visualize it there's a coverage track. y moving the cursor over the relevant bar you'll get that information

      Comment

      • moriah
        Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 23

        #4
        Thanks for your answer!

        I saw the anomaly in the IGV for couple of genes and now I would like to check it in about 500 genes... so I have to find a way to do it automatically ...

        Comment

        • ulz_peter
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 219

          #5
          What about traditional SNP calling (for example using GATK). Is there any reason not to do it?

          Comment

          • moriah
            Member
            • Dec 2010
            • 23

            #6
            As far as I know snp calling won't always count a snp like one if there is not enough coverage or not sufficient quality score...
            In addition, when I used a snp caller I got the consensus nucleotide and since I would like to see how much of each nucleotide covers specific position I am not sure if it fits...

            Do you know how to overcome these issues using snp callers?
            Thanks

            Comment

            • ulz_peter
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 219

              #7
              you can set the criteria quite low and when using GATK (don't know for the others) it outputs the allele balance between the reference allele and the substituted allele.

              It might miss some snps though if evidence is very low but I guess you do search variants with biological meaning and I guess he wouldn't miss those.

              However, you would only get information of balance of 2 nucleotides. I don't think triallelic SNPs are supported yet.

              Can't think of any other solution but maybe there's a fuction in bamtools/bedtools/samtools/picard that you might use

              Comment

              • moriah
                Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 23

                #8
                Thanks for your help!

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
                0 responses
                9 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                31 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                27 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                47 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...