No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimmomatic error while executing

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to run Trimmomatic v0.15. I'm working with Illumina paired end data. With this command:

java -classpath ./trimmomatic.jar org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticSE initial_test_set1 out_file ILLUMINACLIP:illuminaClipping.fa:2:40:15 MINLEN:36

(all file for sure exist in the corresponding folders)
    I get the following error:
    =========================
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/usadellab/trimmomatic/TrimmomaticSE
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticSE
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
    Could not find the main class: org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticSE. Program will exit.
    =========================

Does anyone now how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,
    Irina

Probably means that ./trimmomatic.jar does not exist.

Comment

Dear Irina,

first of all, thanks for using Trimmomatic :-)

Try substituting in your command line ./trimmomatic.jar with trimmomatic-0.15.jar (the jar file name) or the jar name of the version you are using.
      Last edited by giorgifm; 10-07-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I think I found a small hiccup in Trimmomatic (easily fixed by the user, but it might be good to clarify somewhere on the website) -- when providing sequences for the adapters, the file has to be in the directory where Trimmomatic is. It would be nice if this could be flexible and the sequences could be anywhere.

Great program and excellent documentation -- thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ssing View Post
          when providing sequences for the adapters, the file has to be in the directory where Trimmomatic is.
          Not so. You can specify this with the following: ILLUMINACLIP:<path to contaminants.fasta>:X:X:X

One small mistake I have found though is that "MINLEN" is specified as "MINLENGTH" in the documentation - the latter doesn't work.

Comment

Trimmomatic error

Hi,
            I have had no problem running Trimmomatic so far with Illumina HiSeq fastq files provided by sequencing core. However, Trimmomatic started generating output files that contain nothing. The difference from the previous run and this run is that I trimmed some of reads at their 5' ends using HOMER and I assume that HOMER output format (which still looks fastq files for me) causes a problem on Trimmomatic. I tried with -phred33 and -phred64 but nothing worked. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

I am also having a similar problem with trimmomatic version 0.33:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/usadellab/trimmomatic/TrimmomaticPE
              Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticPE
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268)
              Could not find the main class: org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticPE. Program will exit.

Is anyone able to help?

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hparker View Post
                I am also having a similar problem with trimmomatic version 0.33:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/usadellab/trimmomatic/TrimmomaticPE
                Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticPE
                at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:323)
                at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:268)
                Could not find the main class: org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticPE. Program will exit.

Is anyone able to help?

Many thanks.
                Post the complete command you are using.

Comment

command I am using:

$ java -Xmx2G -classpath trimmomatic-0.33.jar org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticPE in291_1_s1_R1.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R2.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R1.paired.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R1.single.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R2.paired.fastq.gz n291_1_s1_R2.single.fastq.gz LEADING:20 TRAILING:20

Comment

Originally posted by Hparker View Post
                    command I am using:

$ java -Xmx2G -classpath trimmomatic-0.33.jar org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticPE in291_1_s1_R1.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R2.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R1.paired.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R1.single.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R2.paired.fastq.gz n291_1_s1_R2.single.fastq.gz LEADING:20 TRAILING:20
                    Try this (replace path_to with real path, I assume you have sanger fastq format files).

Code:
                    $ java -jar [COLOR="Red"]/path_to/[/COLOR]trimmomatic-0.33.jar PE -phred33 in291_1_s1_R1.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R2.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R1.paired.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R1.single.fastq.gz in291_1_s1_R2.paired.fastq.gz n291_1_s1_R2.single.fastq.gz LEADING:20 TRAILING:20

Comment

Using the full path also does not work...

Comment

What files/directories do you have in your trimmomatic path? You might be missing some files.

Comment

In the path to the trimmomatic I have the following files:

fastq files
                          trimmomatic-0.33.jar file
                          adapters folder from trimmomatic zip
                          LICENSE file from trimmomatic zip

Comment

When you move into the directory where the trimmomatic jar is located and execute:-

java -jar trimmomatic-0.33.jar

Do you get any output (or the same error)?

Also, the last paramerer is.. n291_1_s1_R2.single.fastq.gz
                            Is this correct? or should it be in291_1_s1_R2.single.fastq.gz
                            Last edited by hoppo; 07-03-2015, 04:33 AM.

Comment

I get the info on how to use it:

Usage:
                              PE [-threads <threads>] [-phred33|-phred64] [-trimlog <trimLogFile>] [-basein <inputBase> | <inputFile1> <inputFile2>] [-baseout <outputBase> | <outputFile1P> <outputFile1U> <outputFile2P> <outputFile2U>] <trimmer1>...
                              or:
                              SE [-threads <threads>] [-phred33|-phred64] [-trimlog <trimLogFile>] <inputFile> <outputFile> <trimmer1>...

I have now changed the in code I use to:

java -jar /home/Shared/data/seq/hannah_Zymo_June2015/FASTQ/trimmomatic-0.33.jar PE in291_10_s1_R1.fastq.gz in291_10_s1_R2.fastq.gz in291_10_s1_R1.paired.fastq.gz in291_10_s1_R1.single.fastq.gz in291_10_s1_R2.paired.fastq.gz in291_10_s1_R2.single.fastq.gz LEADING:20 TRAILING:20

..and this seems to be working- I get something like this:

Multiple cores found: Using 16 threads
                              Quality encoding detected as phred33
                              Input Read Pairs: 221445 Both Surviving: 221445 (100.00%) Forward Only Surviving: 0 (0.00%) Reverse Only Surviving: 0 (0.00%) Dropped: 0 (0.00%)
                              TrimmomaticPE: Completed successfully

I hope this is correct! It only takes a few seconds for it to do the trimming..

What is the difference with using -Xmx2G and not specifying this?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses