No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sphil
    replied
    MIRA3 has done really good jobs here, assembling yeast 454 and ill PE 90x90 data.

give it a try!

Leave a comment:

• v_kisand
    replied
    Nick has a good blog, I would go for MIRA3.

-veljo

Leave a comment:

• bioBob
    replied
    Because you are wanting only the BAC portion in your final assembly, have you thought of filtering the Illumina data for reads that have, say, 50% identity to the 454 reads prior to a combined assembly?

Leave a comment:

• nickloman
    replied
    I am not sure whether Newbler incorporates the FASTQ reads as part of the overlapping stage or whether it uses some kind of mapping assembly algorithm, but I would certainly give it a try and see how it goes. Obviously there's always a danger of running into memory or CPU issues with that many reads.

Leave a comment:

• Seqasaurus
    replied
    For what its worth, i can vouch for newbler 2.6 with 1.2 million titantium plus up to 2million HiSeq 100bp SE. did a good job with eukaryotic cDNA

Leave a comment:

• Kmart
    replied
    Can newbler really manage the quantity of data produced by Illumina? I have 171 million 100bp PE reads. It was my understanding that the typical OLC assemblers could not handle this.

Leave a comment:

• nickloman
    replied
    I mean run Newbler with the 454 and Illumina reads. V2.6 supports Illumina FASTQ files and seems to do a pretty good job with the bacterial datasets I've tried it on. If you are finding it takes too long consider using the -large flag.

Leave a comment:

• Kmart
    replied
    Thanks nick,

I had a look at your blog and I can see there are several alternatives. Just to clarify, when you say "add your illumina reads to a newbler 2.6 assembly" what program would you recommend for a first shot? Presumably not newbler itself, but a de Bruijn assembler like velvet?

Best,
    Kyle

Leave a comment:

• nickloman
    replied
    I wrote a blog post on this subject:

I'd be inclined to add your Illumina reads to a Newbler 2.6 assembly as your starting point.

Leave a comment:

• Kmart
    started a topic 454 + Illumina Combined Assembly

454 + Illumina Combined Assembly

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions on how to combine data from both 454 and Illumina platforms. Briefly, I have 454 sequenced BACs with average insert sizes of 150kb covered to approximately 30X and an illumina 100bp PE genome of the same species covered to ~25X. I am interested in obtaining the least gapped assembly of the BAC sequences only - not a completely assembled genome of this species.

The only assembler I have attempted is velvet with -long libraries in addition to the -shortPaired library and this does not produce an assembly of comparable quality to my 454-only newbler 2.5p1 assemblies of just the BAC sequences. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Kyle

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses