No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 + Illumina Combined Assembly

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions on how to combine data from both 454 and Illumina platforms. Briefly, I have 454 sequenced BACs with average insert sizes of 150kb covered to approximately 30X and an illumina 100bp PE genome of the same species covered to ~25X. I am interested in obtaining the least gapped assembly of the BAC sequences only - not a completely assembled genome of this species.

The only assembler I have attempted is velvet with -long libraries in addition to the -shortPaired library and this does not produce an assembly of comparable quality to my 454-only newbler 2.5p1 assemblies of just the BAC sequences. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Kyle

I wrote a blog post on this subject:
    http://pathogenomics.bham.ac.uk/blog...-and-454-data/

I'd be inclined to add your Illumina reads to a Newbler 2.6 assembly as your starting point.

Comment

Thanks nick,

I had a look at your blog and I can see there are several alternatives. Just to clarify, when you say "add your illumina reads to a newbler 2.6 assembly" what program would you recommend for a first shot? Presumably not newbler itself, but a de Bruijn assembler like velvet?

Best,
      Kyle

Comment

I mean run Newbler with the 454 and Illumina reads. V2.6 supports Illumina FASTQ files and seems to do a pretty good job with the bacterial datasets I've tried it on. If you are finding it takes too long consider using the -large flag.

Comment

Can newbler really manage the quantity of data produced by Illumina? I have 171 million 100bp PE reads. It was my understanding that the typical OLC assemblers could not handle this.

Comment

For what its worth, i can vouch for newbler 2.6 with 1.2 million titantium plus up to 2million HiSeq 100bp SE. did a good job with eukaryotic cDNA

Comment

I am not sure whether Newbler incorporates the FASTQ reads as part of the overlapping stage or whether it uses some kind of mapping assembly algorithm, but I would certainly give it a try and see how it goes. Obviously there's always a danger of running into memory or CPU issues with that many reads.

Comment

Because you are wanting only the BAC portion in your final assembly, have you thought of filtering the Illumina data for reads that have, say, 50% identity to the 454 reads prior to a combined assembly?

Comment

Nick has a good blog, I would go for MIRA3.

-veljo

Comment

MIRA3 has done really good jobs here, assembling yeast 454 and ill PE 90x90 data.

give it a try!

Comment

Working...
                    X