• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adaptivegenome
    replied
    Originally posted by narain View Post
    @adaptivegenome

Thank you for redirecting me to GCAT website. I am sure with time it will become more useful.

At the moment, it does not well answers my concern. I want a comparison of Bowtie2 vs BWA-MEM and not Bowtie1. Also a comparison of BWA-MEM vs BWA-SW on sequences as long as several kilobases. Comparison of BWA-SW vs Megablast for several kilobases of sequences. Comparison of BWT-SW vs Blast with e-value parameter as high as 10.

I am sure a 3rd party analysis such as GCAT will be useful. At the same time the opinions of the makers of these tools would be very useful as they are aware of the alternatives.

Narain
    GCAT is using Bowtie2 and not Bowtie1. Also you can choose what tools are compared or add your own.

You don't even need to use GCAT. I mentioned it because I did not want to make a claim of performance without being able to back it up with results. In my discussions with Heng Li, he did indicate as well that BWA-MEM was designed to replace preview BWA and BWA-SW implementations but you should certainly get his opinion directly as well.

Leave a comment:

• narain
    replied
    @adaptivegenome

Thank you for redirecting me to GCAT website. I am sure with time it will become more useful.

At the moment, it does not well answers my concern. I want a comparison of Bowtie2 vs BWA-MEM and not Bowtie1. Also a comparison of BWA-MEM vs BWA-SW on sequences as long as several kilobases. Comparison of BWA-SW vs Megablast for several kilobases of sequences. Comparison of BWT-SW vs Blast with e-value parameter as high as 10.

I am sure a 3rd party analysis such as GCAT will be useful. At the same time the opinions of the makers of these tools would be very useful as they are aware of the alternatives.

Narain

Leave a comment:

• adaptivegenome
    replied
    Originally posted by narain View Post
    @lh3 and other eminent speakers in the thread

Its nice to know that we have so many new aligners that have come up in competition to the BLAST which dominated for about 2 decades, and in many way is still the most popular.

In your opinion, for what purposes is bwa-sw better than bwa-mem. I am assuming bwa-mem to be a more equivalent for bowtie2 for long reads such as 250 to 400 bp, but not very good for reads in the order of kilobases.

For what purposes could bwt-sw be better applicable than bwa-sw ?

In what ways bwa-sw is better than MegaBlast given that both do alignment for long sequences in order of kilobases or larger.

In what way bwt-sw could be different than BLAST as though the latter uses heuristics, it still comes up with all the relevant local alignments if you tune the -e parameter accordingly, such as increasing it to 10. The website of bwt-sw states to use it at your own risk, implying that the software is not well tested!

Narain
    I think that BWA-MEM outperforms both BWA and BWA-SW. You can check out some of the comparisons we have done on gcat (www.bioplanet.com/gcat) and I am sure others here probably have tried out BWA-MEM as well.

Leave a comment:

• narain
    replied
    @lh3 and other eminent speakers in the thread

Its nice to know that we have so many new aligners that have come up in competition to the BLAST which dominated for about 2 decades, and in many way is still the most popular.

In your opinion, for what purposes is bwa-sw better than bwa-mem. I am assuming bwa-mem to be a more equivalent for bowtie2 for long reads such as 250 to 400 bp, but not very good for reads in the order of kilobases.

For what purposes could bwt-sw be better applicable than bwa-sw ?

In what ways bwa-sw is better than MegaBlast given that both do alignment for long sequences in order of kilobases or larger.

In what way bwt-sw could be different than BLAST as though the latter uses heuristics, it still comes up with all the relevant local alignments if you tune the -e parameter accordingly, such as increasing it to 10. The website of bwt-sw states to use it at your own risk, implying that the software is not well tested!

Narain

Leave a comment:

• oiiio
    replied
    I started to reply in adaptivegenome's purposed thread here: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...688#post101688

Leave a comment:

• lh3
    replied
    Well, fewer people will see if I comment there. Perhaps the developers might consider to open a thread here.

I am looking at the ROC-like curves. For all data sets, BWA-SW quickly picks up high mapQ wrong alignments. But as you have considered clipping, maybe that is really the fault of bwa-sw. I don't know for sure. Anyway, for typical illumina/454/iontorrent reads, bwa-sw is now deprecated by bwa-mem.

For exome variant calling, it would be better to give statistics in the target regions only.

Leave a comment:

• adaptivegenome
    replied
    Here I started a new thread since we have sort of highjacked this one...

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Leave a comment:

• adaptivegenome
    replied
    Originally posted by oiiio View Post
    Thanks Heng -

It does account for soft clipping, and also allows +/- 5bp in deciding if the alignment is correct. I also find your observation very surprising, because in most of the reports BWA-SW is more accurate than Bowtie2. For example, this report is for a 100bp paired-end illumina sample: http://www.bioplanet.com/gcat/reports/21/alignment/100bp-pe-small-indel/bwa_sw . I see here that BWA-SW appears more accurate than Bowtie2 as more reads are considered, but you are right that it looks bad at the beginning of the graph.

Also, it would awesome for building the GCAT community if you could ask these types of questions on the surrounding forum. The lead developers are watching there, and continuously add improvements as users make suggestions. The user name "lh3" is also available
    I would be interested in hearing what suggestions Heng might have for better metrics. GCAT is awesome but we need to think of more ways to evaluate pipelines...

Leave a comment:

• oiiio
    replied
    Thanks Heng -

It does account for soft clipping, and also allows +/- 5bp in deciding if the alignment is correct. I also find your observation very surprising, because in most of the reports BWA-SW is more accurate than Bowtie2. For example, this report is for a 100bp paired-end illumina sample: http://www.bioplanet.com/gcat/reports/21/alignment/100bp-pe-small-indel/bwa_sw . I see here that BWA-SW appears more accurate than Bowtie2 as more reads are considered, but you are right that it looks bad at the beginning of the graph.

Also, it would awesome for building the GCAT community if you could ask these types of questions on the surrounding forum. The lead developers are watching there, and continuously add improvements as users make suggestions. The user name "lh3" is also available

Leave a comment:

• lh3
    replied
    Very impressive website. There is though a question: when evaluating alignments, how do you tell if an alignment is correct? If there is a clipping in an alignment, how do you deal with that?

I ask this because bwa-sw is surprisingly bad. While bwa-sw is less accurate than bwa-mem, it should be similar to bowtie2. A possible cause is that among the mappers evaluated on your website, bwa-sw reports the most soft clipping. If you do not correct clipping, bwa-sw will be easily the worst.
    Last edited by lh3; 04-14-2013, 06:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zee
    replied
    GCAT is great because it allows you to run and submit your own datasets for public scrutiny. We are going to make good use of it.

Leave a comment:

• oiiio
    replied
    Since it appears this excellent thread has been resurrected recently already-

I'd like to show you all a comparison of bowtie2+GATK and other pipelines for variant calling on the NA12878 illumina exome with 150x coverage. These variant calling reports are generated by the GCAT resource on bioplanet.com:

http://www.bioplanet.com/gcat/report...x/bowtie-atlas

You can use the check box menu at left to choose other pipelines to compare to.

Leave a comment:

• shi
    replied
    Hi ka90,

We have recently made comparisons for a few aligners. Please see

Cheers
    Wei

Leave a comment:

• ka90
    replied
    Sorry for bringing this thread back to life. I was wondering how they compared now that bowtie2 has a stable release and is not in beta anymore. Has anyone been able to compare the latest versions of bowtie2 with other mappers? If so, can you provide your observations.

Leave a comment:

• wlangdon
    replied
    ps: Bowtie2 has a --very-sensitive command line option which can increase its
    accuracy at the expense of increased run time. (In one case by 0.8% to 83.4% but
    run time increased by 53%).
    Bill

Leave a comment:

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses