Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weighted read display - genome browser

Hi,
    does anyone know of a genome browser that collapse all exact reads to one read, but with a thickness or color that can reflect the number of reads for that loaction?
    in other words if i have a genomic location say 1-50 that has 200 reads and another location with 3-75 with 20 reads, i would like to see a longline for 1-50 location with a very thickline (or an appropriate color), while 3-75 gets a much smaller thickness? Can UCSC do this? anyother favorites you know for bed file visulaization witht this purpose?

something like

___________________________________ for 3-75

thanks
    svm

Hi, its an interesting idea but might be difficult in practice. Would you distinguish between 10 reads, 100 reads, and 1000 reads?

Jim

Comment

yes Jim, anything approximate would be fine..like you are implying one could be on a log-scale for instance... the scale can be given to the browser in a bed file, the browser just needs to collapse and weight the "number of reads" given to it (the number could be log of the actual reads) .. i am happy to play around with the scale, i just need a browser with that feature.

Comment

Hi, can you expound on what new information you would glean from such a view that you don't already get in a coverage plot? There is a little extra information there, but is not clear what would be important.

Also, how do you define an identical read, same bases or just same position?

Comment

Would wiggle plots be appropriate for your uses? They are at least supported by GBrowse (and likely other programs):

http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/wiggle.html

Here's an example of GBrowse use, where the density is used to change the colour (rather than the thickness) of the line:

http://gmod.org/wiki/GBrowse/Uploading_Wiggle_Tracks
          Last edited by gringer; 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM. Reason: added GBrowse example

Comment

Working...
          X