Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert from sff to fasta or fastq

I have sff files from 454 sequencing. How do I convert sff to fasta or fastq format?

See this thread:

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Chris

Comment

There is a roche script called "sffinfo", which takes and sff file and generate a fasta file.

Comment

Yes, both sffinfo from Roche and the free open source options of sff_extract and Biopython were mentioned in the thread Chris linked to:
        Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Comment

I've converted sff to fastq using sffinfo to generate the fasta and qual files. You can then combine them using the perl script on this page

to combine them into Sanger fastq. Your fasta and qual files should have the same basename for it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyBrooks View Post
            I've converted sff to fastq using sffinfo to generate the fasta and qual files. You can then combine them using the perl script on this page
            "sff_extract -Q" seems easier in handling :-)

B.

Comment

You can simply type the command below and it will generate 3 files, .fasta, .fasta.qual, .xml, for you.

sff_extract XXX.sff

Comment

Does this sff_extract can handle multiplex files? I have 48individuals/run on a Roche 454 junior and I would like to demultiplex the sff files.

Thanks.

Comment

I don't think sff_extract can do this (yet). Assuming you are using the standard Roche 454 MID barcodes, then Roche's sfffile from their "off instrument applications" package would be the easiest way to do this.

Comment

this program works very well for converting directly from sff to fastq

The basic premise of genetic sequencing involves preparing a DNA sample into a form suitable for use on a DNA sequencer.  Afterwards, the sequencer ascertains the sequences of bases on the preapred…

Comment

Using Biopieces you can do:

Code:
                      read_sff -i data.sff | write_fastq -o data.fq -x
                      or

Code:
                      read_sff -i data.sff | write_454 -o data.fna -q data.fna.qual -x
                      or both in one go:

Code:
                      read_sff -i data.sff | write_fastq -o data.fq | write_454 -o data.fna -q data.fna.qual -x

Comment

Originally posted by maasha View Post
                        Using Biopieces you can do:
                        Thank you - discovered Biopieces because of this post and, after some mucking around with macports and ruby installations on OSX, finally got it working. THANK YOU. Very handy set up tools.
                        @bioinformer
                        http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanjacobs

Comment

I am building a tool with graphical interface that will convert SFF to FASTQ and multifasta.
                          Last edited by create.share; 06-03-2014, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses