Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 【10 USD reward】Probability question for my experiment! Please help me!

I'm doing DNA library screening, and I meet a difficult probability question. I'm looking for some help here in the bioinformatics part.
    I mean nothing of bribe or disrespect. If you don't like the thread title, please neglect it, as I found I cannot change the title after posting.

______________ We can absolute the biological question as the following pure math question:

There are [x] balls, including [3] red balls and [x - 3] grey balls. Every 96 balls are located randomly in one bag, so there are [n = x/96] bags. Now, I want to divide those bags into [m] equal teams. What is the probability that no more than one red ball locates in one team? (x & n are constant, m is the only variable.)

(I expect the answer and the explanation. Thank you very much! Please help me~~~~~)

_________________The real case is as follows:
    I have a DNA library of 161280 clones, which are located in 1680 96-well plates. The library contains ~3x coverage of our model organism's genome, so there will be ~3 positive clones for one single copy gene in this library. My work is to find the positive clones of some genes of interest.

At first, I should divide those 96-well plates into [m] teams, and mix all samples in each team in order to detect which team has the positive clone we want. Then, using 3 or higher dimension based method to detect which well has the positive clone we want from that team. Because higher dimension screening method causes more false positive results, the less probability that one team has more than one positive clone, the better!

Accordingly, the point is more teams means less false positive results, however, it also means more money, more time, et. al.

Now, I want to calculate the probability that no more than one positive clone locates on one team, after dividing those plates into [m] teams. Finally, I can decide how many teams [m] I should make, according to the probability result above as well as money, time, labor, and some other factors.

(We should perform the screening work using a company's robot before Christmas and pay a lot of money, so I really want to calculate the probability as soon as possible in order to confirm the team number [m])
    Last edited by Godevil; 12-15-2011, 08:24 PM. Reason: Add the real case!!!

This is probably not the best place to find answers about random probability theory homework.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
      This is probably not the best place to find answers about random probability theory homework.
      Probably also not a good place to bribe or beg people to do their homework... perhaps as this site gets bigger we might need moderators to approve new threads? Or at least better classify them?

Comment

Originally posted by genericforms View Post
        Probably also not a good place to bribe or beg people to do their homework... perhaps as this site gets bigger we might need moderators to approve new threads? Or at least better classify them?
        Personally, I try to look at all new posts, which is around 100-200 daily. We would need more moderators for classification and approvals.

Comment

Personally, I try to look at all new posts, which is around 100-200 daily. We would need more moderators for classification and approvals.
          I would volunteer

Comment

I would love more moderators! If you're serious (or anyone else is...) let me know!

This thread is pretty funny. I would've made up a wrong but very believable answer...if only to teach the OP a lesson. Apologies in advance to the OP if this really is for his "experiment"

It also suggests a new way that users here could make some money...I'll have to think about that one a bit...

Comment

ECO, I sent you a PM. I am serious!

Comment

ECO, I sent you a PM. I am serious!
                You have a response...in your newfound usertitle...

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
                  You have a response...in your newfound usertitle...
                  Thanks, ECO!

Comment

Thanks, ECO!
                    Thank YOU sir.

I like that you immediately changed your usertitle back to Senior Member. Stealth moderator...I like it.

Comment

I'm sorry that I must post it on a wrong place. I'm just looking for some help.

I'm not so good at math, especially the combination and arrangement.

And I should perform my experiment as soon as possible, so I just want to get some help from here.

[This question is the real case in my experiment, and the 96 balls in one bag actually means the clones in a 96-well plate]

Comment

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't mean to bribe. I just want to get some help for my experiment, because this experiment should be done as soon as possible. I've asked some pepole, but haven't get any correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
                          I would love more moderators! If you're serious (or anyone else is...) let me know!

This thread is pretty funny. I would've made up a wrong but very believable answer...if only to teach the OP a lesson. Apologies in advance to the OP if this really is for his "experiment"

It also suggests a new way that users here could make some money...I'll have to think about that one a bit...
                          This question is the real case in my experiment, and the 96 balls in one bag actually means the clones in a 96-well plate.

I'm not so good at this part of math, and I really need some help, as the experiment should be done as soon as possible.

I’ll change the title as soon as possible, if gays here don't like the bonus part. I don't mean any disrespect. I really need some quick help!

Comment

Classification is very important. I just find I'm doing biological experiment, and I met a difficult math question, so I'm looking for some help here in the bioinformatics part.

Comment

I am actually willing to believe that you really are planning an experiment, but your way of asking the question is still very inconsiderate.

You know, we are all here because we are passionate not just about math and computer science but also about biology. If you really are designing an experiment tell us what the experiment is about. Otherwise, it is no fun to think about it.

Besides, the point of a public forum is to allow other readers to browse it and learn from the discussion. You are certainly not the only one who wants to randomly allocate controls over wells of microtiter plates to avoid spatial artifacts or do single-cell studies with stochastic cell sorting (just making two random guesses what this is about). Others with the same problem can profit from the discussion only if they know what it is really about.

Finally, in my experience, in 3/4 of the cases where a biologist asked me a question in an abstract way I have to change my advice once I learn what it is really about because the questioner omitted important details due to the abstraction.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses