No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the merit of running FixMateInformation

Hi there,

I saw a few NGS data processing piplelines have a "fix mate information" step by either running picard tools or samtools after finished the GATK local realignment. But in the newest GATK workflow(http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/wi..._indel_calling), there is not such a step. So I want to ask what's the merit of running the "fix mate information" step after local realignment and is this step still necessary? Thanks!

Hello all,
    I was wondering the same.
    In the pipeline from GATK (http://gatkforums.broadinstitute.org...ssing-pipeline)

It is said that:
    "Indel Realignment
    is a two step process. First we create targets using the Realigner Target Creator (either for knowns only, or including data indels), then we realign the targets using the Indel Realigner (see [Local realignment around indels]) with an optional smith waterman realignment. The Indel Realigner also fixes mate pair information for reads that get realigned." (bold is my doing...)

I assume that this "new" version of the Indel Realigner already fixes the mate pairs.
    Anyone knows if the assumption is correct and since when?
    Many thanks.
    Guilherme.

Comment

there's this discussion that almost addresses this issue: "The indel realigner fixes mates itself, so the file is valid after realignment". but in the same discussion they mention that "The Indel Realigner only fixes the mates of reads that it moves. If your mates information didn't start out correct for other reads, then they will still be wrong even after running through the IR", so I guess that FixMateInformation could still be needed right after the alignment&pairing process to make sure that your bam file is properly handling mate pair information.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
        by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
        05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
      • seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 07:03 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
      0 responses