Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jaZt
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 2

    #1

    Bowtie2 running infinitely

    Hi,

    I am using Bowtie2.0.0-beta4 to map Illumina raw reads to a file with a lot of fasta sequences in it.

    I have Illumina GAIIx data (75b reads, single end file size is 9 GB) and HiSeq data (100b reads, single end file size is 12 GB or 20GB).

    When mapping with these options:
    bowtie2 -x repbase_nov11_TEs/ref_fasta.indexed -q -U ../../singleend_rawreads.fastq --sensitive-local -a -p 6 -S mapped.sam

    everything works fine for the GAIIx data and the HiSeq data when I use a fasta ref with 5 sequences in it.

    But if I use a bigger fasta ref (60 megabytes), then it works fine for GAIIx, but with HiSeq data it seems to run infinitely on.
    When I look at the size of the generated sam file, it increases two a not specific size and then it stops increasing the file size, but the processors are still working (though of the 6 started, sometimes only 4 go on after this size was reached).

    I thought probably the fasta-ref or the raw data input size is too big . For both I used only a fraction, but the same problem occurs again.

    This is strange, because the exact same data with another fasta-ref (the small one) worked just fine.

    Also, I run it on another system with 48 cores and there, the *.sam file increases to 50GB and then stops increasing, but CPUs keep running. If I start it with 6 cores, then it gets just to about ~10GB.

    And I waited like 5 days... so I do not think it will stop.

    I like bowtie2 really much, and it is doing exactly like i wanted my stuff, so I will be grateful if someone could give me a hint how to solve this problem.

    Best wishes,
    Jens

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    Yesterday, 10:25 AM
  • SEQadmin2
    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
    by SEQadmin2




    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
28 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
24 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
46 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
1 response
55 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...