Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment/assembly programs - Patent minefield

There are many programs to align short reads to a reference, and quite a few denovo assemblers as well. The terrific list here gives great links to many tools.

But when I see these nifty toys and pick them up to examine them, it's clear that there's a quietly deadly dangers in many, in fact probably all, of the tools.

Which of these tools are safe to use without fear of patent violations? From my experience in database tools, the patent mindfield is terrible. But it seems even worse in bioinformatics because the field is newer and therefore more of the basic infrastructure has been patented from the start.

The Celera assembler for example, is covered by multiple patents and it's clearly not legal to use their methods, even for academic non-profit use. The GPL license is not what I'm talking about, but the patents underlaying its function. I'm not saying people haven't used the assember, but that their use is likely a violation even if Celera hasn't persued it yet. Celera is also far from the only patent holder.

This applies to almost all of these tools. I doubt any one of them is free from patent restrictions. Even the awesome and elegant Bowtie is likely infringing multiple times, since about anything that uses the BWT to search on DNA sequences is patented.

How are people protecting themselves from this issue? Have patent holders like Celera offered licenses, or indemity, at least for noncommercial users?
    How do the researchers of these algorithms defend themselves?

How could any company even think to commercialize such tools unless they have a huge portfolio of patents of their own to play mutual-assured-destruction faceoffs with?

I fear that the answers to these questions is that people have just ignored the issues for now and hope that none of the patent holders decides to start poking at their projects.

There's no doubt that this is a mine field, however the BWT based aligners could argue they're based primarily on the fm-index papers (which predate these patents) rather than the specific tweaks employed in these patents.

A complex mess though, and one which only serves to demonstrate why software patents are generally bad for science as a whole.

Comment

I think it's really the issue when the analysis tool such as BWT are necessary in the personal genome era.

Comment

IANAL, but unless one has a method that is not based on published papers, a better business model may be the service model, rather than patent and protect.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses