No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to construct phylogenetic tree using SNPs

hi,
    i am puzzled of how to construct phylogenetic tree using SNPs from re-sequence data.

may i extract validated SNPs of all to generate a artificial sequence and import it to MEGA or other programes?

any details will be appreciated!

"may i extract validated SNPs of all to generate a artificial sequence and import it to MEGA or other programes?"

That's exactly what you can do. It's not really even an artificial sequence, since the SNPs, by definition, are the informative sites that a phylogeny is based upon, i.e. all the other sequence would be is filler that is filtered out of by the programs.

The only issue with just using the SNPs outside of a genomic context is that you will not know where they are in the codons and thus cannot use amino acid sequences for any analyse,s or know if a SNP represents a synonymous change (amino acid remains the same) or non-synonymous (changes amino acid sequence). Knowing if there is an amino acid change can be important for functional/medical genomics, for more complex codon-based models use to build phylogenies, and for selecting neutral (non-synonymous) changes to look at analyses using the molecular clock.

Comment

I found this link the other day that constructs a phylogeny from SNPs in kmers:

An Open Access Publisher & Scientific Events Organizer and other Open Access Resources

You have to ask the author for the source code, but it appears to work with both assemblies and raw sequence reads.

Comment

Originally posted by zmartine View Post
        "may i extract validated SNPs of all to generate a artificial sequence and import it to MEGA or other programes?"

That's exactly what you can do. It's not really even an artificial sequence, since the SNPs, by definition, are the informative sites that a phylogeny is based upon, i.e. all the other sequence would be is filler that is filtered out of by the programs.

The only issue with just using the SNPs outside of a genomic context is that you will not know where they are in the codons and thus cannot use amino acid sequences for any analyse,s or know if a SNP represents a synonymous change (amino acid remains the same) or non-synonymous (changes amino acid sequence). Knowing if there is an amino acid change can be important for functional/medical genomics, for more complex codon-based models use to build phylogenies, and for selecting neutral (non-synonymous) changes to look at analyses using the molecular clock.
        well, thanks.
        but will you give more details about constructing tree like how the SNPs and its position in chromosome are orgnized?

Comment

Originally posted by themerlin View Post
          I found this link the other day that constructs a phylogeny from SNPs in kmers:

An Open Access Publisher & Scientific Events Organizer and other Open Access Resources

You have to ask the author for the source code, but it appears to work with both assemblies and raw sequence reads.
          that is out of my understanding

Comment

Would it make sense to generate n artificial sequences with the SNPs and their codon contexts for
            all strains of interest ?

Alternatively, I guess SNPs can be used as characters in a parsimony based approach ? Has anyone
            tried this ?

Lastly, this program may also be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by zmartine View Post

That's only true for maximum parsimony. Maximum likelihood and Bayesian methods consider invariant sites.

Comment

See http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2009/10/21/0904691106 for an example of using maximum parsimony to analyze SNP data.

Comment

Hi,
                  No idea how construct phylogenetic tree using SNPs ???
                  MM

Comment

The workflow for creating phylogenetic tree by SNPs

Dear all,

I will really appreciate if anyone would share their workflow for creating the phylogenetic tree by SNPs? Is there any commercial software that can do it?

Thank you very much!

Victor

Comment

Haven't used it yet, but

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses