I assigned RGID's to 4 different sets of files. I labeled them L1, L2, L3, L4 to indicate which lane they were from. I was having issues after samtools merge and I think the problem is that the first in.bam header overwrote the other headers (this is in the samtools manual). Basically I have orphan reads now because they have a RGID that isn't in the header. All the other RG tags are identical in the bam files. I was told that I needed to add the other ID's to my header in the merged file. So I guess the header needs to say something like RGID: L1, L2, L3, L4 for it to work properly but I don't think you can put comma's. I don't really know how to reformat text files and on a scale of 1-10 in programming knowledge, I would put myself at a 2. Can someone please give me an example code for how to edit this header? I will attach the header of my existing file below if that helps.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
I think various RGs need to be on separate lines.
You can use text editor to get the header you want, no "programming" involved using gedit/vim/emacs.
It you did want to program, using the Unix tools sed,grep,cat and so in a script could solve the problem.
When you get the header you want, try the samtools "reheader" option.
-
I think I wasn't clear when I said I couldn't program very well. I actually meant I couldn't program as well as do what you are describing.Originally posted by Richard Finney View PostI think various RGs need to be on separate lines.
You can use text editor to get the header you want, no "programming" involved using gedit/vim/emacs.
It you did want to program, using the Unix tools sed,grep,cat and so in a script could solve the problem.
When you get the header you want, try the samtools "reheader" option.
Comment
-
There's no programming involved. You need to edit the header to add lines for samples L2, L3, and L4.Originally posted by shawpa View PostI think I wasn't clear when I said I couldn't program very well. I actually meant I couldn't program as well as do what you are describing.
Right now your header has only L1:
You need all four in the header, and they need to have different sample names (SM):Code:@RG ID:L1 PL:ILLUMINA PU:D0DHVACXX LB:ryan SM:ryan
You could use samtools view -h to make a sam file from the merged bam and then edit that file directly, but that's probably a bad idea since the file might be huge.Code:@RG ID:L1 PL:ILLUMINA PU:D0DHVACXX LB:ryan SM:ryan1 @RG ID:L2 PL:ILLUMINA PU:D0DHVACXX LB:ryan SM:ryan2 @RG ID:L3 PL:ILLUMINA PU:D0DHVACXX LB:ryan SM:ryan3 @RG ID:L4 PL:ILLUMINA PU:D0DHVACXX LB:ryan SM:ryan4
The method Richard Finney suggests is to use samtools reheader:
Code:samtools view -H file.bam > header.txt ...edit header.txt using any text editor... samtools reheader header.txt file.bam > file.fixedheader.bam
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
42 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
50 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
41 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment