Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • swaraj
    Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 50

    #1

    summarizeOverlaps vs countOverlaps

    Dear All,

    I am getting completely different results for the count of mapped reads on transcript features using the countOverlaps and summarizeOverlaps.

    CountOverlaps on using a gappedAlignment and Granges object gives slightly different results. SummarizeOverlaps gives totally different results for the modes "Union" and "intersectionNotEmpty".

    Can someone please let me know where I am making a mistake. I have attached a screenshot of the transcripts. All the transcripts belong to the same gene.

    Following steps were performed by me on a small subset of my data

    1. I built a gapped alignment object of mapped reads using the command
    reads=readBamGappedAlignments("path / to / bam/sorted.bam")

    2. From the gapped alignment I built a genomic ranges object
    ranges=GRanges(seqnames=rname(reads),
    ranges=IRanges(start=start(reads),
    end=end(reads)),strand=rep("*",length(reads)))

    3. I built a genomic ranges list from a custom genedb object (4 transcripts).
    geneE=exonsBy(genedb,'gene')

    4. Used the count and summarize overlaps functions
    a). count1=countOverlaps(geneE, reads)
    b). count2=countOverlaps(geneE, ranges)
    c). count3=assays(summarizeOverlaps(geneE, reads,
    mode="UNION"))$counts[,1]
    c). count4=assays(summarizeOverlaps(geneE, reads,
    mode="intersectionNotEmpty"))$counts[,1]

    5. I get four different count results
    "T1, T2, T3, T4"
    a). count1 "55972, 41029, 18270, 18734"
    b). count2 "55989, 41046, 18287, 18751"
    c). count3 "0, 2, 0, 1092"
    d). count4 "0, 3712, 0, 2550"
    Attached Files

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    Today, 10:25 AM
  • SEQadmin2
    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
    by SEQadmin2




    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
27 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
24 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
45 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
1 response
55 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...