Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAM (from bowtie2) to BAM problem using samtools

I generated a de novo assembly of illumina hiseq reads using Abyss & trans-Abyss, aligned the reads back to the assembly using bowtie2, and am now trying to view the resulting SAM alignment in IGV. IGV recommends BAM over SAM, but I'm getting errors in converting to BAM using samtools.

The command I'm using is:
    Code:
    samtools view -bhS Ua_1.0_pn.sam > Ua_1.0_pn.bam
    Though I get a resulting bam file, I also get this output in my terminal:
    [samopen] SAM header is present: 200079 sequences.
    [sam_read1] reference '323' is recognized as '*'.
    Parse error at line 60897629: sequence and quality are inconsistent
    Abort trap
    When I ignored the error and tried to sort the bam file with the command:
    Code:
    samtools sort Ua_1.0_pn.bam Ua_1.0_pn_sort.bam
    I got the error:
    [bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent. The input is probably truncated.
    [bam_header_read] invalid BAM binary header (this is not a BAM file).
    [bam_sort_core] truncated file. Continue anyway.
    Bus error
    Here are the first few lines of my SAM file:
    @HD VN:1.0 SO:unsorted
    @SQ SN:k48:100000u LN:120
    @SQ SN:k48:100008 LN:199
    @SQ SN:k48:100019u LN:95
    @SQ SN:k48:100020 LN:195

Can anyone help? I haven't been able to find relevant help on seqanswers or anywhere else.

Originally posted by amango View Post
    Though I get a resulting bam file, I also get this output in my terminal:
    Code:
    [samopen] SAM header is present: 200079 sequences.
    [sam_read1] reference '323' is recognized as '*'.
    Parse error at line 60897629: sequence and quality are inconsistent
    Abort trap
    I think samtools only likes the start of your SAM file, and something goes wonky at that line quoted. My guess is a data corruption of some sort at that point, throwing the tab separated SAM fields out of sync.

You should check that region of the SAM file to confirm this hunch. Can you show us that chunk of the data (say 5 lines either side)?

Or just regenerate the SAM file and hope it works second time round

Comment

The first error mentioned a problem on line 60897629. Have you looked at that line to see if something is amiss in the SAM file? I expect that when it's aborting early that it's not finishing the file, thereby causing the second error you saw.

Comment

Line 60897629 is indeed different. It's the middle one below, starting with "165...". I looked a hundred lines before this section, and it seems to be the first that appears this way, the some other similar lines appear further down the file.

I read about the SAM format specification (for the first time--I'm 1 month into the world of bioinformatics) and from what I can tell, this line is missing a QNAME (query name; col 1), has a map quality of 0 (col 5), has no sequence (col 10) or quality (col 11), and has two extra columns, with values: YT:Z:UP & YF:Z:LN.

Does this make sense to anyone? Any advice on how I can get past this?

Comment

Easy answer...just delete the offending lines. Maybe your bam got garbled somewhere along the line, or maybe the fatsq was garbled at that point. It's just one read out of millions.
          Last edited by swbarnes2; 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

You might want to look back at the original fastq file and try to determine which read that's supposed to be. It's possible that the fastq file is screwy (maybe it's missing that read?). The YT and YF values are optional fields.

A fix purely for the creating a BAM file issue is to delete the screwed up line. Just eye-balling things, it looks like you have paired-end data, so make sure you get both pairs.

If the fastq file seems ok, then you might try to track down the bug and submit a bug report to the bowtie2 developers.

Comment

I had this happen to me recently with bowtie2. I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but I found that if I regenerated the bowtie2 library, reran bowtie2 and then converted to bam and sorted etc, I no longer had a problem. I don't know if there is some weird little occasional glitch with the program or it is was some other factor (I used the same commands each time). We had a substantial lightning storm here the night of the original runs that had the error you mentioned. Whether that affected the run I have no idea. Although other differences from this run versus the previous run that might be just as logical explanations are that I am wearing shorts today rather than jeans and this morning I had toast with jam.

Comment

Hey,
                did any of you get IGV to open/sort/index a BAM file generated with samtools from a SAM file generated with bowtie2? igvtools refuses to take my file...

Comment

Yes, if you're getting an error message on the console, then go ahead and post it. I've only ever used IGV to open BAM files. I use samtools for sorting and indexing.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
                    I use samtools for sorting and indexing.
                    I tried that after I posted my question and it worked. I guess I won't use igvtools from now on, samtools is faster anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith-Elina View Post
                      I tried that after I posted my question and it worked. I guess I won't use igvtools from now on, samtools is faster anyway.
                      Yeah, it's quite useful for other formats, but samtools and picard are the de facto standards for all things SAM/BAM related.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses