Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Resa7362
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 5

    #1

    Ugene

    I am trying to align my 454 sequences to reference sanger sequences in order to see the amount of intra-individual virion diversity. I'm working with a virus genome. Does anyone know how to do this in UGENE?? I've been trying to find a program to do this for a while now and I just can't seem to figure it out. I think UGENE will do what I want it to do, but I am not a computer person!

    Thanks!
  • maubp
    Peter (Biopython etc)
    • Jul 2009
    • 1544

    #2
    Did you rule out a 454 mapper like Roche's gsMapper from their "Newbler" suite of off instrument applications? That's what I would try first here.

    Comment

    • kga1978
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 100

      #3
      If you can get somebody to help you out with the computer side (which really is necessary for largeish projects), I would suggest trying out the 454 suite developed by the Broad and just released:
      http://www.broadinstitute.org/scient...?package=RC454

      If you just have a couple of samples, you could try out Geneious or CLC Bio - they can both do alignment/assembly as well as intrahost variant calling. I personally use Geneious and like it as a non-command line alternative for small and quick projects.

      Comment

      • Resa7362
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 5

        #4
        I have been trying different programs for a few months and haven't been able to get anything to do what I've been trying to do. In actuality, it's very very simple. I want to use something that is easy to use since I am not computer savvy. Are these programs user friendly?

        Comment

        • colindaven
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2008
          • 417

          #5
          Try, or get someone, to install Roche's Newbler package. It has a nice GUI and is user friendly.

          If you want to spend money, CLC is great for 454. A trial version might be the way to go.

          Thanks for the tip on the Broad package kga, I'll give it a go sometime.

          Comment

          • kga1978
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2010
            • 100

            #6
            Install the trial versions of CLC Genome Workbench and Geneious. They both align 454 data quite well and you can make up your mind of which one you like the most.

            Both programs are also user friendly, although you need to have a look at the manual for an hour or so before starting your analyses.

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Today, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            24 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            45 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...