Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error installing vcftools

Hi! I downloaded the latest vcftools, moved it into my desktop file, then commanded:
    tar -zxvf vcftools_0.1.8a.tar.gz
    cd vcftools_0.1.8a
    make

However, I received the following error:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/lab/Desktop/linux files/vcftools_0.1.8a/cpp'
    g++ -O2 -Wall -Wextra vcftools.cpp vcf_file.cpp vcf_entry.cpp vcf_entry_getters.cpp vcf_entry_setters.cpp vcf_file_filters.cpp vcf_file_output.cpp vcf_file_format_convert.cpp vcf_file_diff.cpp parameters.cpp vcf_file_index.cpp output_log.cpp -o vcftools -lz
    vcf_file_output.cpp: In member function ‘void vcf_file:utput_PCA(const string&, bool, int)’:
    vcf_file_output.cpp:2774:6: warning: parameter ‘use_normalisation’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-parameter]
    vcf_file_output.cpp:2774:6: warning: parameter ‘SNP_loadings_N_PCs’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-parameter]
    vcf_file_format_convert.cpp: In member function ‘void vcf_file:utput_as_012_matrix(const string&)’:
    vcf_file_format_convert.cpp:453:7: warning: variable ‘phase’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
    cp /home/lab/Desktop/linux files/vcftools_0.1.8a/cpp/vcftools /home/lab/Desktop/ ./ ./ ./ 2012/vcftools_0.1.8a//bin/vcftools
    /bin/sh: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
    make[1]: *** [vcftools] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/lab/Desktop/linux files/vcftools_0.1.8a/cpp'
    cd: 2: can't cd to perl
    make: *** [install] Error 2

Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks!

It's possible that the space in "/home/lab/Desktop/linux files" is making trouble. Remove the space, or move the vcftools_0.1.8a directory to the Desktop, and try again.
    Last edited by Alex Renwick; 03-28-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Awesome! That worked. Thank you!

Comment

Trouble installing vcf tools

Hello,
        I downloaded vcf tools in my Mac. I had to download make, Tabix and vcf tools. I put the path for the perl directories in these two directories in my PATH variable. I ran make without error msgs. When I go into my vcftools and type per/test.t I am getting this msg.

SARASHOMENWerl saras$ test.t
        Can't locate Test/Most.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Users/saras/src/vcftools_0.1.8a/perl /saras/vcftools/perl /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0 /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0 .) at /Users/saras/src/vcftools_0.1.8a/perl/test.t line 17.
        BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/saras/src/vcftools_0.1.8a/perl/test.t line 17.
        SARASHOMENWerl saras$

What is missing ? Please help. Thanks.

Saras

Comment

Trouble installing vcftools on a mac

Hi everyone,
          I've got a similar problem as Saras and would really appreciate some help.

I've downloaded vcftools to my /opt/local/bin directory (Mac), unpacked it, and have typed "make" in the vcftools folder. All but two lines in the output look good, however the two "problem" lines already show that something didn't work properly:

cp: /opt/local/bin/vcftools_0.1.10/perl/fill-rsIDs: No such file or directory
          cp: /opt/local/bin/vcftools_0.1.10/perl/vcf-filter: No such file or directory

When I try to run the test.t script with the following command:

/opt/local/bin/vcftools_0.1.10/perl/test.t

I get the following error message:

Can't locate Test/Most.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/local/bin/vcftools_0.1.10/perl /lib /Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.12 /Network/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.12 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.12.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.12 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12 .) at /opt/local/bin/vcftools_0.1.10/perl/test.t line 17.
          BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/local/bin/vcftools_0.1.10/perl/test.t line 17.

Has anyone run into something like this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Hi again, I've now got the first few problems solved:

cp: /opt/local/bin/vcftools_0.1.10/perl/fill-rsIDs: No such file or directory
            cp: /opt/local/bin/vcftools_0.1.10/perl/vcf-filter: No such file or directory

can be fixed if you "touch" the files fill-rsIDs and vcf-filter... the files don't do anything, but there is no error message anymore.

Apparently the test.t executable doesn't work unless the the Test::Most package (perl) is installed. This can be installed using "cpan":
            1) export PERL5LIB=/path/to/your/installation/perl
            2) cpanm Test::Most
            3) cpan App::cpanminus

Unfortunately I still can't get test.t to run smoothly....
            here the last 3 lines of output....

# Looks like you planned 74 tests but ran 9.
            # Looks like you failed 6 tests of 9 run.
            # Looks like your test exited with 2 just after 9.

Comment

Hello CowGirl,

I had the same issues with the two missing files. Thanks for suggesting the 'touch' fix, as it seems to have fixed the problem (fingers crossed)!

In case you are still looking for a method to test the program: I found a fantastic website which gives really nice instructions on how to install all of the programs needed to run vcftools (g++, zlib, tabix, vcftools) and also contains a method for testing tabix and vcftools at the end of the page. See the following link:

Getting Genetics Done (GGD) is a blog with tips, reviews, tutorials, and pointers to relevant literature in genetics and bioinformatics research.

Comment

Hey LML,
                thanks for the tip. I can't take credit for the "touch" strategy (a big "Thank you" to the colleaugues in Austria!).
                Unforunately I've already installed everything else (i.e. g++, zlib, tabix, vcftools) "the hard way" ;-) , but I'm sure others will find the information useful as well. Cheers
                Last edited by CowGirl; 04-17-2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

I have encountered an error when install vcftools version 9, 10 and 11 as following, but successfully for version 4a.

I also searched the problem "warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'" and got this web page:

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Pengcheng

Code:
                  make[1]: Entering directory `/panfs/home/yangpc/soft/07.reseq/vcftools_0.1.11/cpp'
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcftools.cpp -o vcftools.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcftools.cpp > vcftools.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  bcf_file.cpp -o bcf_file.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  bcf_file.cpp > bcf_file.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcf_file.cpp -o vcf_file.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcf_file.cpp > vcf_file.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file.cpp -o variant_file.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file.cpp > variant_file.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  bcf_entry.cpp -o bcf_entry.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  bcf_entry.cpp > bcf_entry.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcf_entry.cpp -o vcf_entry.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcf_entry.cpp > vcf_entry.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  entry.cpp -o entry.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  entry.cpp > entry.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  entry_setters.cpp -o entry_setters.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  entry_setters.cpp > entry_setters.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  entry_getters.cpp -o entry_getters.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  entry_getters.cpp > entry_getters.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcf_entry_setters.cpp -o vcf_entry_setters.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcf_entry_setters.cpp > vcf_entry_setters.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  bcf_entry_setters.cpp -o bcf_entry_setters.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  bcf_entry_setters.cpp > bcf_entry_setters.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_filters.cpp -o variant_file_filters.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_filters.cpp > variant_file_filters.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_output.cpp -o variant_file_output.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_output.cpp > variant_file_output.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_format_convert.cpp -o variant_file_format_convert.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_format_convert.cpp > variant_file_format_convert.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_diff.cpp -o variant_file_diff.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_diff.cpp > variant_file_diff.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  header.cpp -o header.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  header.cpp > header.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  parameters.cpp -o parameters.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  parameters.cpp > parameters.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_index.cpp -o variant_file_index.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  variant_file_index.cpp > variant_file_index.d
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  output_log.cpp -o output_log.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  output_log.cpp > output_log.d
                  gcc -O2 -m64 -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64   -c -o bgzf.o bgzf.c
                  g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  gamma.cpp -o gamma.o
                  g++ -MM -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  gamma.cpp > gamma.d
                  g++ -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcftools.o bcf_file.o vcf_file.o variant_file.o bcf_entry.o vcf_entry.o entry.o entry_setters.o entry_getters.o vcf_entry_setters.o   bcf_entry_setters.o variant_file_filters.o variant_file_output.o variant_file_format_convert.o variant_file_diff.o header.o parameters.o variant_file_index.o output_log.o bgzf.o gamma.o -o vcftools -lz 
                  variant_file_format_convert.o: In function `variant_file::output_as_LDhat_phased(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
                  variant_file_format_convert.cpp:(.text+0x41d3): warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
                  bcf_file.o: In function `bcf_file::get_filepos()':
                  bcf_file.cpp:(.text+0x125): undefined reference to `gztell64'
                  bcf_file.o: In function `bcf_file::get_eof()':
                  bcf_file.cpp:(.text+0x811): undefined reference to `gzseek64'
                  bcf_file.cpp:(.text+0x840): undefined reference to `gzseek64'
                  bcf_file.o: In function `bcf_file::open()':
                  bcf_file.cpp:(.text+0x1e27): undefined reference to `gzopen64'
                  bcf_file.cpp:(.text+0x1ec0): undefined reference to `gzbuffer'
                  bcf_file.o: In function `bcf_file::set_filepos(std::fpos<__mbstate_t>&)':
                  bcf_file.cpp:(.text+0x76): undefined reference to `gzseek64'
                  vcf_file.o: In function `vcf_file::get_filepos()':
                  vcf_file.cpp:(.text+0xd2): undefined reference to `gztell64'
                  vcf_file.o: In function `vcf_file::open()':
                  vcf_file.cpp:(.text+0xa5d): undefined reference to `gzopen64'
                  vcf_file.cpp:(.text+0xaf6): undefined reference to `gzbuffer'
                  vcf_file.o: In function `vcf_file::set_filepos(std::fpos<__mbstate_t>&)':
                  vcf_file.cpp:(.text+0x85): undefined reference to `gzseek64'
                  variant_file_filters.o: In function `variant_file::filter_sites_by_positions(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
                  variant_file_filters.cpp:(.text+0x630b): undefined reference to `gzopen64'
                  variant_file_filters.cpp:(.text+0x6ce3): undefined reference to `gzopen64'
                  variant_file_index.o: In function `variant_file::write_index_file(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
                  variant_file_index.cpp:(.text+0x1ca): undefined reference to `gzopen64'
                  variant_file_index.o: In function `variant_file::read_index_file(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
                  variant_file_index.cpp:(.text+0x7a1): undefined reference to `gzopen64'
                  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
                  make[1]: *** [vcftools] Error 1
                  make[1]: Leaving directory `/panfs/home/yangpc/soft/07.reseq/vcftools_0.1.11/cpp'
                  /bin/sh: line 1: cd: perl: No such file or directory
                  make: *** [install] Error 1
                  Last edited by pengchy; 07-03-2013, 01:31 AM. Reason: add information

Comment

What version of zlib do you have currently installed? The "gz*" undefined references would point to absence (or presence of an older) version of zlib.

Comment

thanks GenoMax,

I have compiled successfully in another node, it seems caused by the absence of libz version.

Thank you.

Comment

Hey

I also have problems installing vcftools. More precisely:
                        I executed the test.t script, as suggested, and could solve nearly all problems instead vcf-stats

ok 13 - Testing next_data_array
                        not ok 14 - Testing vcf-stats .. perl -I/home/nancy/programs/vcftools_0.1.11/perl -MVcf /home/nancy/programs/vcftools_0.1.11/perl/vcf-stats /home/nancy/programs/vcftools_0.1.11/perl/../examples/valid-4.0.vcf
                        # Failed test 'Testing vcf-stats .. perl -I/home/nancy/programs/vcftools_0.1.11/perl -MVcf /home/nancy/programs/vcftools_0.1.11/perl/vcf-stats /home/nancy/programs/vcftools_0.1.11/perl/../examples/valid-4.0.vcf'
                        # at /home/nancy/programs/vcftools_0.1.11/perl/test.t line 165.
                        # Structures begin differing at:
                        # $got->[47] = ' 'other_count' => 2,
                        # '
                        # $expected->[47] = ' 'hom_AA_count' => 4,
                        # '
                        ok 15 - Testing add_columns with genotypes full, 4.0.

i have no clue what goes wrong here. anyone an idea?

Greeting,
                        volavii

Comment

hello!
                          when i am trying to install vcftools_0.1.12b:
                          Code:
                          kurban@kurban-X550VC:~/Downloads/vcftools_0.1.12b$ make
                          and it showed this:
                          Code:
                          make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kurban/Downloads/vcftools_0.1.12b/cpp'
                          g++ -c -O2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  vcftools.cpp -o vcftools.o
                          make[1]: g++: Command not found
                          make[1]: *** [vcftools.o] Error 127
                          make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kurban/Downloads/vcftools_0.1.12b/cpp'
                          /bin/sh: 3: cd: can't cd to perl
                          make: *** [install] Error 2
                          before i do make ,it is required to do this:
                          Code:
                          export PERL5LIB=/path/to/your/vcftools-directory/perl/
                          and i expressed it in this way:
                          Code:
                          export PERL5LIB=/home/kurban/Downloads/vcftools_0.1.12b/perl
                          i am new at linux, so i did not know where i did wrong or what should i do. please give some corrections on this!!!

Comment

you're missing the C++ compiler.

If you're on a debian-based distro just do
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get install g++
                            and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cytosine View Post
                              you're missing the C++ compiler.

If you're on a debian-based distro just do
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get install g++
                              and try again.
                              thank you, that worked .
                              Last edited by kurban910; 08-10-2014, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses