Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • fvnieuwe
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 3

    #1

    bowtie2 quality scores same for every read

    Dear all,

    I am trying to map Illumina 2x126bp exome data (Nimblegen v3) with bowtie2. Subsequently, I want to perform variant detection using Samtools.

    I ran into following problem:
    - When I do an end-to-end paired-end mapping with bowtie2, the resulting sam file shows a mapping quality (column 5, MAPQ) of 0 for every read.
    - When I do a local paired-end mapping with bowtie2, the resulting sam file shows a mapping quality (column 5, MAPQ) of 44 for every read.
    - Note: both end-to-end and local mapping of the same reads but as single end reads shows a MAPQ value ranging between 1 and 44 (local) or between 1 and 42 (end-to-end)

    Example sam output end-to-end:
    bowtie2 --very-sensitive -p 8 --no-mixed --no-discordant -x ./bowtie2_hg19/hg19 -1 F10_GCCAAT_L007_R1.fastq -2 F10_GCCAAT_L007_R2.fastq -S F10_ete.sam --met-file F10_ete.out
    HISEQ:126:C0HL2ACXX:7:1101:5336:1952 83 chr19 8841203 0 126M = 8841061 -268 TTAAGTTTTCTCCCTCCAGCCTACTGATTCTAGCTGCAGCCTCATTCCTCTTCTCAAGACACCATCCCAGGAAGCCACCACCAATCAATGATGATTGGCATGTGAGATGAAAATTATTTGCCACCC ####A?9(09.0?88B@A::A>@@>>@A@A>CA::BBBBCCCCA;6(67;7B?7==.)(=)GHFC@=8)<HEBD?700):FHGGFDF?GHGIHHG@IIGF<DH@<H@IGGHF<>FBCABDDDA@@@ AS:i:-4 XN:i:0 XM:i:2 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 NM:i:2 MD:Z:46A31T47 YT:Z:CP
    HISEQ:126:C0HL2ACXX:7:1101:5336:1952 163 chr19 8841061 0 126M = 8841203 268 TGAGGCACCACGTCCGGCCGAACCTCAAATTTTTCACTATAGGGAGCAGTGGGTAGCTCTTCATTGGAGTGTGGCCAAGCGTCTCATTCAGAGATGCCAGCTGCTTCTTTGCCATCCCATGCCTTG @<@DFFFDBFBBFBGIIIGIJJJJ<9DH8DFGIIC8BGIEGHII>GIEE7=AA?BDCCCCA@CAA;CA?CDDDD?ACBB?BB?B?@DEECC::A@C4@A@BCC9CCCDDD((4@@A88:@C?::AC AS:i:-2 XN:i:0 XM:i:1 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 NM:i:1 MD:Z:110C15 YT:Z:CP


    Example sam output local alignment:
    bowtie2 --very-sensitive-local --local -M 5 --score-min G,20,8 -p 8 --no-mixed --no-discordant -x ./bowtie2_hg19/hg19 -1 F10_GCCAAT_L007_R1.fastq -2 F10_GCCAAT_L007_R2.fastq -S F10_local.sam --met-file F10_local.out
    HISEQ:126:C0HL2ACXX:7:1101:5336:1952 83 chr19 8841203 44 126M = 8841061 -268 TTAAGTTTTCTCCCTCCAGCCTACTGATTCTAGCTGCAGCCTCATTCCTCTTCTCAAGACACCATCCCAGGAAGCCACCACCAATCAATGATGATTGGCATGTGAGATGAAAATTATTTGCCACCC ####A?9(09.0?88B@A::A>@@>>@A@A>CA::BBBBCCCCA;6(67;7B?7==.)(=)GHFC@=8)<HEBD?700):FHGGFDF?GHGIHHG@IIGF<DH@<H@IGGHF<>FBCABDDDA@@@ AS:i:244 XN:i:0 XM:i:2 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 NM:i:2 MD:Z:46A31T47 YT:Z:CP
    HISEQ:126:C0HL2ACXX:7:1101:5336:1952 163 chr19 8841061 44 126M = 8841203 268 TGAGGCACCACGTCCGGCCGAACCTCAAATTTTTCACTATAGGGAGCAGTGGGTAGCTCTTCATTGGAGTGTGGCCAAGCGTCTCATTCAGAGATGCCAGCTGCTTCTTTGCCATCCCATGCCTTG @<@DFFFDBFBBFBGIIIGIJJJJ<9DH8DFGIIC8BGIEGHII>GIEE7=AA?BDCCCCA@CAA;CA?CDDDD?ACBB?BB?B?@DEECC::A@C4@A@BCC9CCCDDD((4@@A88:@C?::AC AS:i:248 XN:i:0 XM:i:1 XO:i:0 XG:i:0 NM:i:1 MD:Z:110C15 YT:Z:CP

    Who can make sense of this? Thanks! I already spend a day on this.

    Kind regards,
    Filip
  • fvnieuwe
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 3

    #2
    I want to bump this question. Mapping paired-end reads with bowtie2 should be common practice. Right? I cannot imagine that nobody elso ran in to this problem. Am I overlooking something really obvious? In the mean time, I helped myself by switching to bwa. I still want to make the bowtie2 approach work, because of speed issues and the local aligment features. Where are the Bowtie aficionados?

    Comment

    • fjrossello
      Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 30

      #3
      Hi Filip,

      The same problem here (end to end, MapQual all 0s. However, this only happened when --no-mixed --no-discordant options were used. Find the parameters below:

      bowtie2 -p 6 --phred33 -N 1 -L 25 -X 650 -I 0 --no-mixed --no-discordant --un-conc ****_un.fastq --al-conc ****_al.fastq --rg-id Flowcell1_Lane4 --rg LB:Lib-**** --rg SM:*** --rg PL:HiSeq2000 -x $bowtie2_reference_dir/genome -1 $rawi/****_1.fq -2 $rawi/****_2.fq -S ****.sam >> ****.out 2>&1

      I found no issues when run in --non-mixed mode only. Find commands below:

      bowtie2 -p 6 --phred33 -N 1 -L 25 -X 650 -I 0 --no-mixed --rg-id Flowcell1_Lane4 --rg LB:Lib-**** --rg SM:*** --rg PL:HiSeq2000 -x $bowtie2_reference_dir/genome -1 $rawi/****_1.fq -2 $rawi/****_2.fq -S ****.sam >> ****.out 2>&1

      I hope this helps.

      Cheers,

      Fernando

      Comment

      • fvnieuwe
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 3

        #4
        Thanks Fernando! Indeed, the problem only occurs when using --no-mixed and --no-discordant. I reported this bug to the sourceforge.net site.

        Comment

        • fjrossello
          Member
          • Sep 2011
          • 30

          #5
          Excellent! Thanks.
          Cheers,
          Fernando

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          9 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          32 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          47 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...