Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi billstevens,

I only use Ensemble GTF file as annotation and have no idea of other annotation files.
    But based on my experience, the cuffdiff will output features using the ID in the annotation file if you give it the GTF file (which is the annotation file and not generated by cuffcompare or cuffmerge).
    The output features are all annotated in the GTF, so no novel gene or transcript can be found.
    Thanks.

-xiangq

Comment

Thanks for sdriscoll's clarification. It helps.

Comment

As for the CDS output, I double check the data. It seems that the cuffdiff will not output CDS of genes which generate both protein and other non-protein coding RNA.
        Anyone can give the reason? Thanks.

Comment

I haven't noticed this myself however I haven't paid much attention to the CDS output aside from noting that the file usually has almost as many rows as the gene_exp.diff file.
          /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
          Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Originally posted by billstevens View Post
            So I"m very confused on this GTF format.

From the UCSC wiki, it states "At this time, this genePredToGtf command can provide better GTF files than available from the table browser."

However, I get outputs from cuffdiff in UNIPROT, RefSeq, UCSC and ENSEMBLE. So that's not a huge deal, I can use DAVID to get all of them. What I am really confused by is this:

One of my CDS is uc010nxq.1. When I search for this on Google, I get this and this

One of these is on chromosome 15 and the other on chromosome X. Please help, I could not be more confused.
            Wow, thanks a lot!

I guess we should all be careful when using DAVID then, because it just lets you pick the species, not which genes.

Comment

That's why, when I use DAVID, I select OFFICIAL_GENE_SYMBOL as the identifier type for my gene list. To do that I have to have everything in terms of those gene symbols so that's why I've made a point to make sure to get those symbols into the GTF files I use for expression quantification.
              /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
              Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses