Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LiamT
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 5

    #1

    RNA-seq Tophat2 errors

    Hi everyone

    I'm rather new to this field, so am trying my best and have spent the better part of a day trying to get Tophat2 to work with RNA-seq data and the hg19 reference. I can smell that I'm close, but I just don't or can't see what is wrong with the way I'm running the program. I have installed everything as per instructions, the programs are all in the path, the indexes installed, and so I start with the following:

    Code:
    tophat2 -p 4 -o hivA --library-type fr-firststrand --keep-tmp --b2-very-sensitive $HOME/programs/bowtie2/hg19 $HOME/lincrna/fastq/A_1.fastq, $HOME/lincrna/fastq/A_2.fastq
    which gives


    [2012-05-09 09:20:23] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.0)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [2012-05-09 09:20:23] Checking for Bowtie
    Bowtie version: 2.0.0.5
    [2012-05-09 09:20:23] Checking for Samtools
    Samtools version: 0.1.18.0
    [2012-05-09 09:20:23] Checking for Bowtie index files
    [2012-05-09 09:20:23] Checking for reference FASTA file
    [2012-05-09 09:20:23] Generating SAM header for /home/thompsonl/programs/bowtie2/hg19
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/thompsonl/programs/tophat2/tophat", line 3778, in ?
    sys.exit(main())
    File "/home/thompsonl/programs/tophat2/tophat", line 3645, in main
    params.read_params = check_reads_format(params, reads_list)
    File "/home/thompsonl/programs/tophat2/tophat", line 1676, in check_reads_format
    zf = ZReader(f_name, params.system_params)
    File "/home/thompsonl/programs/tophat2/tophat", line 1629, in __init__
    self.file=open(filename)
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ''

    Now obviously, it can't find something, but what exactly can't it find ? I've checked the logs in the output directory but that doesn't yield any additional info. I've also tried a precompiled and source version of tophat2, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

    Any suggestions for my myopia ?

    Thanks
    Liam
  • rnaseek
    Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 22

    #2
    The error is complaining that it could not open the sequence file. I think you don't need that comma after the first fastq file.
    " $HOME/lincrna/fastq/A_1.fastq,"
    Last edited by rnaseek; 05-09-2012, 12:34 AM.

    Comment

    • LiamT
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 5

      #3
      Sigh..this seems to work now, thanks for clearing that up . Just a further question though, as the A_1.fastq and A_2.fastq are sequencing replicates should they instead be named A1_1.fastq A2_1.fastq ? Keeping in mind that this is single end RNA-seq not paired end.

      Comment

      • rnaseek
        Member
        • Nov 2011
        • 22

        #4
        I thought it was a Paired End run. Since it is not a paired end you might want to rename the files and try running with the comma.

        Comment

        • LiamT
          Junior Member
          • Apr 2012
          • 5

          #5
          The system dislikes any combination of commas that I try, I'll try without a comma, use "--library-type fr-firststrand" in the command line and see if it worked afterwords. Thanks for the suggestions.

          Comment

          • rnaseek
            Member
            • Nov 2011
            • 22

            #6
            Since they are replicates (tech. reps?), you can run independently, compare and decide to merge the bam files later if needed.

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
            0 responses
            13 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            37 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            28 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            48 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...