Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Arupsss
    Member
    • May 2011
    • 44

    #1

    Full Genomic Database and corresponding chromosomal databases

    I am doing some experiment using BowTie and Q-Pick. However, one works with full Human genomic database (BowTie) and another works with it's corresponding chromosomal databases (for chromosome 1,2, 3....23). Now from here, I found full Human Genome Database for h19 (contains 23 chromosome files one for each chromosome i.e. chromFa.tar.gz archive). However, can't understand , if I concatenate all those 23 files in a single file (say using cat command) and give input to the BowTie tool, is it acceptable ? Means does concatenated all chromosome files = Full Genomic database ? More specifically, each chromosome starts with chr(chromosome number)>, should I include those while concatenating or remove those tags ?
    Last edited by Arupsss; 06-18-2012, 07:31 AM.
  • westerman
    Rick Westerman
    • Jun 2008
    • 1104

    #2
    I am not sure I understand your question. Bowtie can work with an entire genome, with chromsomes or with parts of chromosomes. So there is no need to have one large file and plenty of reasons not to (e.g., ease of manipulation, ease of visualization, etc.) However ff you do wish to concatenate all of the chromsomes together into one large genome file then leave the '>' part in place. Good luck with your analysis.

    Comment

    • Arupsss
      Member
      • May 2011
      • 44

      #3
      Originally posted by westerman View Post
      I am not sure I understand your question. Bowtie can work with an entire genome, with chromsomes or with parts of chromosomes. So there is no need to have one large file and plenty of reasons not to (e.g., ease of manipulation, ease of visualization, etc.) However ff you do wish to concatenate all of the chromsomes together into one large genome file then leave the '>' part in place. Good luck with your analysis.
      Thanks a lot. So, while concatenating, suppose chr1>NN..AG..NN and chr2>NN..GC...NN, I should remove the > means output is : chr1NN..AG..NNchr2NN..GC...NN. And give input the concatenated file to BowTie. Am I correct ?

      Comment

      • westerman
        Rick Westerman
        • Jun 2008
        • 1104

        #4
        Your files should look something like:

        >chr1
        NN..AG..NN

        And the next file should look like:

        >chr2
        NN..GC..NN

        When you cat these files together leave in the '>' part to get a large file that looks like:


        >chr1
        NN..AG..NN
        >chr2
        NN..GC..NN

        Unless I misunderstanding your question, this is simple FastA format manipulation.

        Comment

        • Arupsss
          Member
          • May 2011
          • 44

          #5
          Originally posted by westerman View Post
          Your files should look something like:

          >chr1
          NN..AG..NN

          And the next file should look like:

          >chr2
          NN..GC..NN

          When you cat these files together leave in the '>' part to get a large file that looks like:


          >chr1
          NN..AG..NN
          >chr2
          NN..GC..NN

          Unless I misunderstanding your question, this is simple FastA format manipulation.
          Yah. I am trying to do that simple FastA format manipulation thus I can give it as a single file input to BowTie. However, "'>' part" means only ">" or ">chr2>" because in the above large file example you just cat those files, no part is dropped.

          Comment

          • GenoMax
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 7142

            #6
            Save yourself a significant amount of effort and just download the pre-built bowtie indexes for hg19 from here: ftp://ftp.cbcb.umd.edu/pub/data/bowt.../hg19.ebwt.zip

            Comment

            • Arupsss
              Member
              • May 2011
              • 44

              #7
              Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              Save yourself a significant amount of effort and just download the pre-built bowtie indexes for hg19 from here: ftp://ftp.cbcb.umd.edu/pub/data/bowt.../hg19.ebwt.zip
              Thanks a lot. However, I have many chromosomal sequences (not only for Human or hg19/18). I have to do it for all. I don't think for all I can get prebuilt indexes. Another point is that for some cases I have to include/exclude sex related chromosomal sequence.

              Comment

              • GenoMax
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 7142

                #8
                I guess you are trying to do much of this on windows. It may be time to put some effort into using a unix distro. There are several unix distributions that you can try. You may want to experiment with "bioliunx" which has a lot of pre-built bioinformatics apps (http://nebc.nerc.ac.uk/tools/bio-linux/bio-linux-6.0).

                You are bound to run into some issue (sooner than later) where trying to do this type of analysis on windows (editing/handling large files is one thing that comes to mind).

                A simple unix command like "cat file1 fie2 file3 > final.fa" would achieve what you were asking about in the original question.

                Originally posted by Arupsss View Post
                Thanks a lot. However, I have many chromosomal sequences (not only for Human or hg19/18). I have to do it for all. I don't think for all I can get prebuilt indexes. Another point is that for some cases I have to include/exclude sex related chromosomal sequence.

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  Today, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                27 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                24 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                45 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                1 response
                55 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...