Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 bps Read Length Issue

I am doing some experiment with BowTie. Now, I want to do experiment with 150 bps read length. So, I download it from here. And converted to fastq format. Now, I see, the fastq format looks like,

@ERR103405.1 M10_151:1:2:12250:1321 length=302 ATTTACTGCCTTGTGTCTCCAGTGCGCTGAAAATACCTTTATCTTGAAATAAGTTAACTAACTCTTGGATACCTTTAATTAATGCTGGGTTACCACCAGAAATTGTAACGTGGTTAAATAAATCGCCACCAATACGTTTTAATTCATCATAGAACAGCTGGATGTGATTATCGCTGTAGCTGGTGTGATTCTGCATTTACTTGGGATGGTAGTGCTAAAGGCGATATAAAACTCATGACCGCTGAAGAAATTTATGATGAATTAAAACGTATTGGTGGCGATTTATTTAACCACGTTACAAT
    +ERR103405.1 M10_151:1:2:12250:1321 length=302 CCCFFFFFHHHHHHHIHJJJJJIIJJIJJIJJJIIGJJJJIIGIJJHIGIIJJIIIJIIJJIJEIJIJFIIIFJGHHGHHFFFFFFFEDCCACCDA?ABDDDDDDCDC@?<ABBBDDDDEDDDC<?B?@BDDDDDB>CC@C:>AADDCACDB@CFFFDDHHBFHEHIIIIIGJIHHEGHIIHE1C?D?GGGIIIIGIFI>BHHIJ@3CHBDGGICHGEHIIGHE>BEDEDE;ACCDDCCA?B=BBCDCCCC@@>>C@CDC>@DCDCDDD<<@?AC(2??BDBDBCDCDDCC::?881<?C>:
    Now in NCBI, they described it as "DNA for paried end (150bp) sequencing on an illumina MiSeq". But here it looks it is 302 bps read. Can anybody help me why it is given in above sequence, "length=302" while it is written in the page that it is a 150 bps read.

It's a paired end 151 cycle read

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
      It's a paired end 151 cycle read
      Thanks. But, I want to give input 150 bps length read to Bowtie Tool. So, what I should do ? I search for 150 bp and get those as result.

Comment

For technical reasons, the error rates are higher for the last base. Those can be removed with a variety of tools (e.g., Trimmomatic). I suggest you search the wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
          For technical reasons, the error rates are higher for the last base. Those can be removed with a variety of tools (e.g., Trimmomatic). I suggest you search the wiki.
          Thanks. But, it is not possible to get 150 bps read length .sar file and fed it into Bowtie ? Another point is: here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/SRX145461) it says 1 forward, 151 reverse. Can you inform does it mean ?

Comment

Obtaining 150bp of high-quality sequence data requires 151 cycle sequencing (followed by trimming of the final low-quality base). Paired-end sequencing doubles the number of cycles: 2x151=302. SRA contains the raw (i.e., untrimmed) data.

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
              Obtaining 150bp of high-quality sequence data requires 151 cycle sequencing (followed by trimming of the final low-quality base). Paired-end sequencing doubles the number of cycles: 2x151=302. SRA contains the raw (i.e., untrimmed) data.
              Is paired end read (or 1 forward, 151 reverse) means first end is taken from DNA's forward stand and second one taken from DNA's reverse strand ? Means are they reverse complement ? Sorry, I have very little idea about Bioinformatics. Another point is,

"Obtaining 150bp of high-quality sequence data requires 151 cycle sequencing (followed by trimming of the final low-quality base)" - is this means last base of 151 bps should be dropped by the tool ?

Comment

The answers to your questions can be found by searching the forum.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses