X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concatenate several SRA reads to a single fastq file

Hi all,

I want to re-analyse a dataset available in GEO:

I've downloaded all the files, however it seems that each replicate/experiment has several file corresponding to several runs. The question is: how to concatenate these runs once they are converted into fastq? Would a simple cat command work?

Also, is this a silly thing to do? (I'm a newbie) Ultimately my goal is to determine gene expression changes.

Cheers.

[QUOTE=krespim;80152]

I've downloaded all the files, however it seems that each replicate/experiment has several file corresponding to several runs. The question is: how to concatenate these runs once they are converted into fastq? Would a simple cat command work?
    [./QUOTE]

I'm sorry, why exactly do you want to cat all these files? A simple a simple
    cat *.fastq >> consolidated_fastq.fq

will be fine but whats your need for doing so? Every single run usually corresponds to a different sample so why merge all?

Originally posted by krespim View Post

Also, is this a silly thing to do? (I'm a newbie) Ultimately my goal is to determine gene expression changes.

Cheers.
    Process files separately then use comparitive studies on the sam/bam files!

Comment

Originally posted by arkal View Post
      will be fine but whats your need for doing so? Every single run usually corresponds to a different sample so why merge all?
      Well, this is actually my main issue as I don't know if each run is a different sample, or the same sample ran in multiple lanes. The sample GEO page lists 3 SRA files.

The paper does not mention biological or technical replicates.

Comment

Originally posted by krespim View Post
        Well, this is actually my main issue as I don't know if each run is a different sample, or the same sample ran in multiple lanes. The sample GEO page lists 3 SRA files.

The paper does not mention biological or technical replicates.
        It seems to be the same sample in different lanes/runs... so you can either merge the fastqs and align or align the 3 separately and merge the sams! I recommend the latter as it will take less time (provide you have the resources to align them parallelly)!

Comment

Originally posted by arkal View Post
          It seems to be the same sample in different lanes/runs... so you can either merge the fastqs and align or align the 3 separately and merge the sams! I recommend the latter as it will take less time (provide you have the resources to align them parallelly)!
          I have recently been granted access to a server with a very decent number or processors so that should be easy

Thanks a lot arkal!

Comment

No worries all the best!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses