Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ThePresident
    Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 72

    #1

    Artemis visualization of RNA-seq alignments

    Hello everyone,

    Juts a couple of quick questions:

    1) how to increase memory usage for artemis? I tried to add java -mx250m -jar in front of my path in target field, but it just won't work. That should work (I took it from Sanger webpage), but there must be a small detail that I'm not doing right.

    2) when I load sorted BAM file of RNA-seq reads against my reference genome, for some regions/genes I see some kind of peak i.e. reads seamed to reach a maximum and they are all equal (look at the picture, in red). That's certainly not normal... you guys have any idea what is it about?

    3) There are two colors in my alignment in artemis (see picture). Why's that? I have single-end RNA-seq data and my libraries were not strand specific...

    4) If I load two or more replicates as separate files, what artemis displays is a mean of my different biological replicates?

    Thanks!
    Attached Files
  • protist
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 101

    #2
    For increasing memory edit the info.plist file in the Artemis folder. The protocol I use is for a mac but is as follows:

    Artemis Memory Increase:
    Open Terminal and go to Artemis in Applications folder

    Emacs Info.plist
    Change value as detailed below
    Control XC to exit & Press Y to save

    Set the value in the file Info.plist in the
    directory Artemis.app/Contents. Towards the bottom of the file there are a
    couple of lines that look like this:
    <key>VMOptions</key>
    <string>-Xmx800m</string>

    Changing the value after -Xmx will change the memory used by Artemis.

    Comment

    • ThePresident
      Member
      • Jun 2012
      • 72

      #3
      Thanks for your answer. However, I'm using Artemis under windows 7, so I even can't find the info.plist

      TP

      Comment

      • protist
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 101

        #4
        Originally posted by ThePresident View Post
        Thanks for your answer. However, I'm using Artemis under windows 7, so I even can't find the info.plist

        TP
        Here is info for PC - is pre 7 but try and see if you can use it...
        To increase the memory allocation, create a shortcut for the Artemis program and right click on the shortcut icon. In the box which specifies the Target you will see the location of the program with which the shortcut is associated.

        Place quotation marks around the target and infront of the target type: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\java.exe -jar -Xincgc -Xmx150000000 . If you are using Windows 2000 rather than Windows XP, type: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\java.exe -jar -Xincgc -Xmx150000000 .

        Comment

        • krispy
          Junior Member
          • Apr 2013
          • 7

          #5
          Hi, I couldn't find a way to increase the memory. I have the artemis.jar on my desktop, and I created a shortcut to it. I tried putting in java -mx250m -jar in front of the target field but it just gave me "the name java specified in the target box is not valid". The C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINNT didn't help as well. I am using Windows 7. Can anyone help me with this, I am so confused.

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Today, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          28 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          24 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          46 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
          1 response
          55 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...