Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastq_quality_trimmer error

I'm having problems in running commands of fastx tool. For example, when I ran fastx_trimmer,
    fastx_trimmer -i in.txt -o out.fastq

I received this error
    fastx_trimmer: Invalid quality score value (char '#' ord 35 quality value -29) on line 4

Even I tried to add "-Q 64", still the same error.
    fastx_trimmer -i in.txt -Q 64 -o out.fastq

Why is that??

If your data is in sanger format then -Q 33 would be the option to add.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention my sample is Illumina. The sample length is 17kb.

Comment

Originally posted by shuang View Post
        I'm having problems in running commands of fastx tool. For example, when I ran fastx_trimmer,
        fastx_trimmer -i in.txt -o out.fastq

I received this error
        fastx_trimmer: Invalid quality score value (char '#' ord 35 quality value -29) on line 4

Even I tried to add "-Q 64", still the same error.
        fastx_trimmer -i in.txt -Q 64 -o out.fastq

Why is that??
        Illumina stopped using the Phred+64 offset sometime ago; they now use Phred+33. The fastx toolkit assumes Phred+64 by default so your two examples were exactly the same. As GenoMax said you need to use -Q33.

Comment

When I use -Q 33, it didn't go much further, neither. Below is the command and the error message.
          fastx_trimmer -i in.txt -Q 33 -o all.fastq

fastx_trimmer: Error: invalid quality score data on line 448 (quality_tok = "??????B?D?DDDBB?FFFF;FFBB>FFHHDD?EGH>EFEAECEDHHHHHGHFE:FDGA-CEDHHDBF>AAACF=AAEBGFGF?CDDEHH+=CCCCBDAFF?DF.6BFF66...=B<*645,,5A,5,,53>?;>A,A5==*..8A?*:C"

Comment

shuang: Can you tell us what OS you are using to run the fastx_trimmer?

Did you open/edit the sequence file ("in.txt") in a non-unix OS (e.g. windows/OS X)?

What do you mean by sample length is 17kb?

Comment

I use Ubuntu. The in.txt is a fastq file, which was downloaded directly from the sequencing facility website.

17kb is the expected fully assembled length.

Comment

same problem

I am using fastq_quality_ trimmer for the first time and I am having this same problem also on Illumina generated data. Does anyone know what the solution to this is?

Comment

Just use TRIMMOMATIC.
                  Works better with more options

Comment

There should be no space between the Q and the 33.

You also need to specify how you want to trim by setting variables for -f and -l e.g.

fastx_trimmer -Q33 -f 1 -l 50 -i input.fastq -o output.fastq

AFAIK Fastq's also need to be uncompressed for input but can be compressed on output using the -z flag.

Use fastx_trimmer -h for help

Comment

I had the exactly same problem! It seems the problem is more of -Q33 option as I tried it.
                      Two things here:

1) which is the wrong quality score, i.e. ASCII char when you have the -Q33 on?

2) our sequence machine was run with the MS-Windows platform and the data was deposited on Linux storage disk. There might be a issue with this cross platform situation, but how to solve it?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses