No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA PE Problem

Dear forum,

I am experiencing problems during BWA paired-end mapping on my local setup. I have two fastq files for each sample. BWA aln step seems okay, but then at sampe the alignment may fail after outputting 1 Mb or even 1 Gb of SAM data. Could this happen to be a pre-processing issue? Fastq --> rename --> trimming ?

BWA is executed under Galaxy platform and I dont see the log file, so I may try to run it on command line. I see it fails at sampe via htop command.

I have also indexed the reference.

Pasting the output when it goes bad might help.

Is it possible that the fastqs got corrupted part-way through?

Renaming and trimming shouldn't hurt things, as long as the millionth read in fastq 1 really is the mate of the millionth read of fastq 2, and so on.

Comment

With the latter scenario I would have expected BWA to "hang" for several hours/days? Im currently running an alignment with newly transferred fastqs, and will report back if that doesnt solve the issue.

Comment

What does bwa sample tell you are the approximate insert sizes? If they are crazy huge, it can take the software a long time to decide that, and move on.

But no, it should not hang. It should be outputting its progress every couple of seconds.

Comment

As mentioned above, you need to make sure that your processed paired end reads are paired correctly in read 1 and read 2 files. I had BWA stall forever when my reads weren't paired properly after preprocessing (filtering by quality will get rid of different reads in read 1 and read 2 file if you don't use the appropriate software or re-pair after processing).

Comment

Ok thanks for your replies. I tried with new fastq files, and still got the problem, only one sample passed through to the complete SAM file. I also tried mapping without any preprocessing, and same error BWA stops at sampe.

I want to run it in command line outside of Galaxy, but Im not super-familiar with linux. Right now Im indexing the genome. Should all indexing files be in the same directory as my input fastqs and reference? Or can I specify the location somehow? I just installed bwa by apt-get on a clean Ubuntu disk image. But where exactly does it install? Only thing I know, is that bwa is in the PATH.

And my apologies for such basic linux questions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses