Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • adrian
    Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 90

    #1

    Cuffdiff - results replicates

    Hi:

    I have 4 different cell types. A , B, C and D. Each class has 4 replicates.

    In Cuffdiff, I gave replicates with comma separated lines

    A1.bam, A2.bam, A3.bam,A4.bam B1.bam,b2.bam,b4.bam ... and so on.


    From gene_exp.diff, I wanted to get list of differentially expressed genes.
    I observe that cuffdiff also compared q1 q2 (which is a1.bam a2.bam).

    why cuffdiff comparing between two replicates. Could anyone provide their expert input.

    Also is this the only file to look for differentially expressed genes?

    Thanks
    Adrian
  • Bukowski
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 388

    #2
    q1 and q2 will be the replicate groups, not the sample id's if you've specified your replicate groupings correctly.

    Use -L to specify labels instead

    genes_exp.diff is the gene level summaries of the differential expression testing between conditions.

    The other diff files are summaries of the differential expression at transcript leve, tss level, cds level etc.

    Comment

    • adrian
      Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 90

      #3
      Hi :
      Thanks for your reply.

      A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 C1 C2 C3 D1 D2 D3

      If q1, q2, Q3 and Q4 are replicate groups, I should not get anything above q4 since I have only 4 replicate groups. However, I am seeing in columns Sample_1 and Sample_2:

      q1 q4

      q1 q8

      q1 q9

      q1 q12

      etc.

      This lead me to think that cuffdiff is comparing every replicate sample to other samples in other groups and reporting the significant FDR (yes or no calls).

      Yes, I did not specify -L option.


      Is the following correct syntax for -L option?

      cuffdiff combined.gtf -L sample1, sample2, sample3 and sample4 a1.bam,a2.bam,a3.bam b1.bam,b2.bam,b3.bam c1.bam,c2.bam,c3.bam d1.bam,d2.bam,d3.bam


      Thanks a lot again.

      -Adrian

      Comment

      • DonDolowy
        Member
        • Oct 2012
        • 56

        #4
        cuffdiff combined.gtf -L sample1,sample2,sample3,sample4 a1.bam,a2.bam,a3.bam b1.bam,b2.bam,b3.bam c1.bam,c2.bam,c3.bam d1.bam,d2.bam,d3.bam

        This should be the right one.

        Comment

        • adrian
          Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 90

          #5
          Thanks a lot for your reply.

          I have one more question:

          Is is okay if I do cuffdiff only on two replicate groups.

          Say cuffdiff between a1,a2,a3 and b1,b2,b3 only.

          since my cuffmerge gtf assembly file is made from all samples in the experiment, will I loose power by only comparing two replicate groups and not all.

          Thanks again.

          -Adrian

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          10 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          32 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          48 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...